Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    southistle

Well Arthur you are correct, in Canada the garden is the bed where the veg and flowers grow. I had thought the photos to be 1929ish, but if say 1932 then I have found 2 cousins of my father who would fit. both would be granddaughters of the older lady if she is the mother of my grandmother. But I don't think my father looks 17 years old, he was only 5ft 4in as an adult.
    This photo with my father on the right actually has a date on it, 1927 so 12 years old

southistle

What do you think Arthur - this from google earth is where my great grandmother lived in 1930 (voters list)

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by southistle View Post
    Well Arthur you are correct, in Canada the garden is the bed where the veg and flowers grow. I had thought the photos to be 1929ish, but if say 1932 then I have found 2 cousins of my father who would fit. both would be granddaughters of the older lady if she is the mother of my grandmother. But I don't think my father looks 17 years old, he was only 5ft 4in as an adult.
    This photo with my father on the right actually has a date on it, 1927 so 12 years old
    Looking at the boy front right of this latest photo (the one with 6 people on), if that's your father at 12, then I'd think he might be 15 or so in the original one. He seems to have slimmed down a bit in that one, and to have a (possibly) more grown up hairstyle.

Quote Originally Posted by southistle View Post
    What do you think Arthur - this from google earth is where my great grandmother lived in 1930 (voters list)
    That looks a reasonable possibility to me. I know vegetation can change in 80+ years, but I don't see any major inconsistencies there. I'm assuming the Google earth one has north at the top; I may be wrong, but the old photos do look a bit as though they have been taken into the sun (the sky is overexposed), with the sun possibly a bit round to the right, and with the bushes being used to block as much bright light as possible. That would fit with the backs of the gardens in the aerial view.

Arthur

Famous for offering help & advice

It certainly is nice to look at old photos and I did see a book once about how comparing facial features may help identify mystery people in photos if you think they are family. In the 1927 photo above, it does look like the 5 people with your father are all related.

In cases where you know who is in the photos and they are related, often the facial features just eptomise this, 2 siblings in a shot. My great gran and her siblings have similar facial features to their mother's sister.

southistle

The 2 boys in the photo are brothers, the girl between them may be the daughter of their grandfathers's second wife, same age as the younger boy. Perhaps one of the ladies is her mother.
    I am trying to sort out all my photos, they have all been scanned but were just a mixed up jumble in a small ancient suitcase.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12