Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samuel Hayman

Jennifer Wesley

Default Samuel Hayman

I am looking for more info on a Samuel Hayman christened 17 March 1728 in Buckfastleigh, Devon, his father was Samuel Hayman. Who was his mother & did he have any siblings? They could possibly be my 6th & 7th great grandfathers.

janbooth

Hi Jennifer,

FindmyPast, which is a pay per view site, has the actual parish register images of Buckfastleigh for the period you are interested in. I cannot give you full details because of their terms and conditions, but they do have 5 siblings for Samuel, who appears to be the eldest child, and from later records it would appear that Samuel snr's wife was named Margaret. The date of Samuel jnr's baptism is actually 19 March 1728/29.

Ancestry's Select Marriages has a record of the marriage at Buckfastleigh on 9 July 1728 of a Samuel HAYMAN & a Margaret CROSMAN which would appear to be a likely candidate for the marriage of Samuel jnr's parents.

FindmyPast also has a likely baptism for a Margaret CROSSMAN at Buckfastleigh in 1705, so you should be able to go back a further generation on her line. There is also a marriage on Ancestry at Buckfastleigh for a John CROSMAN & Susanna TURNER on 17 May 1703 which could prove relevant to you.

Janet

Jennifer Wesley

Thank you so much Janet. I do have records for a William & a Benjamin Hayman born 1732 & 1744 who`s parents were Samuel & Margaret (nee Crossman) Hayman, just needed to confirm if Margaret was Samuel`s jnr mother. I got these from Family Search & MyHeritage. I also have Samuel & Margaret`s marriage record but was not sure if they were his parents seeing he was christened in March 1728 and their marriage was in July 1728

Thank you for the Crossman info..... will now work on that side of the family.

Jenny

Jennifer Wesley

Also now looking for the parents of Richard Hayman born 1726 in Buckfastleigh who married an Elizabeth Cobble in 1753.

janbooth

Hello again Jenny,

No baptism that I can find for Richard at Buckfastleigh, but there is a baptism in February 1725/26 at South Brent which is pretty close to Buckfastleigh on FindmyPast. Again cannot give you full details but his mother was unmarried. However, it would appear that pages are missing from the register of Buckfastleigh on FMP between 1720 and 1726, so that may well explain why Richard's baptism is missing.

Janet

janbooth

Looking at the baptisms of Richard & Elizabeth's children, after the baptism of son Richard in 1758, both their other sons were named John, the first in 1760 and the subsequent one in 1768, so perhaps Richard's father may have been a John??

Janet

Jennifer Wesley

Thank you Janet.
    Interesting point.... seems like that could be the case. These Richard Haymans are in a friends family tree and I am trying to find out if any link to my family tree. The second John born 1768 is in his line being his 3 x great grandfather, so obviously the first must have died in infancy.

Knowledgeable and helpful

It is perfectly okay for the marriage of Samuel's parents to be in July of 1728 and his baptism in March 1728. He would be legitimately born as the year changed on 25 March, not Jan 1. Calendar didn't change until 1752. pwholt

Jennifer Wesley

Thank you, pwholt........ interesting, I didn`t know that

Knowledgeable and helpful

According to some information passed to me, Samuel, husband of Margaret Cross man, was baptised at Ashburton 12 May 1700. Possibly son of Samuel, baptised Ashburton 17 Feb 1669 - no mother named. Siblings- Mary, bapt. Ashburton 5Aug 1696, married John Toms 19 Oct 1718 Ashburton. John, bapt 16 March 1702 Ashburton, married Ann Wakum 9 Jan 1734 Buckfastleigh. All this was allegedly extracted from parish registers and IGI

Samuel and Margaret had 6 children. Samuel,junior, and Agness Turner had 9 children. It is just possible that their eldest son, Samuel, bapt 21 Sept 1777, Buckfstleigh is my 3xgreat grandfather but I have been unable to find conclusive proof. Just too many Samuel Hayman's around!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast