Thread: Stevens/Hilton

Starting to feel at home

Default Stevens/Hilton

In connection with my own family tree, I am trying to find information about the following names, which have either a Chesterfield or Birmingham connection".

Agnes Hollis (b. 1897) married a Charles John Stevens who I understand came from Birmingham. It is Charles who I am principally trying to find out about!

Joan Stevens was the daughter of Agnes and Charles. Joan married a Hilton, and they had a son, M , so I am also interested in finding out more about Joan, and any Hilton connections!
    Another name of interest is Eleanor Hilton, who married a William Hollis. William and Eleanor married and lived in Victoria, Australia, but possibly came from Chesterfield origins.

I would be extremely grateful for any information or assistance in my research!
    Last edited by christanel; 16-05-2015 at 6:28 AM. Reason: Removed name of possibly living person as per BG's AUP

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Thread for William and Eleanor,https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...Garrett-Hollis
    You don't need to add this couple to yet another thread.Have you purchased the marriage certificate?

Hello
    As warncoort has said we will post any information found for Eleanor Hilton and William Hollis to the other thread. Buying the marriage certificate should be your next move for that couple. To prevent us going down the wrong track certificates are an essential part of our genealogy research.

So on this thread we will deal with Agnes Hollis (b. 1897) who married a Charles John Stevens.

This is their marriage registration which is on FreeBMD.

Marriages September 1/4 1918
    Agnes Hollis and Charles J Stevens Registration district W.Bromwich vol 6b page 1511

It may be that you will be up for another marriage certificate if there are too many to be able to single your bloke out. It is a pity they didn't marry before the 1911 census so we could at least have known where and when he was born.

I have removed the name of M the son of Joan nee Stevens/Stephens and husband (?) Hilton as our AUP forbids us posting the names of possibly living people however his birth reg is on FreeBMD June 1/4 1946 registration district Chesterfield. He has the middle initial J. vol 7b page 1430. First name with an I not a Y in the second syllable.

I think I am going bug-eyed and can't see a marriage for Stevens/Stephens and Hilton as yet.
    Christina

(ps Forgot to say that it appears that Agnes nee Hollis and Charles J Stevens moved to Kent after their marriage and all of their children's births were registered in the Milton reg dist.in Kent.) This is incorrect - see post #8
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

No, I haven't yet purchased the marriage certificate, but I intend to do so when I'm financial!

I'm a 'poor' pensioner, so have to budget carefully, but it's on my list of things to do, and hopefully I'll be able to do so after next pension day!

Because it's quite expensive, I usually only purchase certificates when I am sure that it will provide me with the information I am needing, and in this case I suspect it will be the only way forward!

The information you provided me with helped in that at least I now know where to apply for the certificate, and can do it on-line! (as well as knowing the names of the couple for which I am applying!

Starting to feel at home

Thanks again for your help! As you will realise, I am only just learning how to use this site, and what to do and what not to do!

As you will probably realise, what I was trying to find out is if there is a link between Joan Hilton, who already features in my family tree, with the Eleanor Hilton who was the mother of Daniel Hollis.

Joan Hilton was mentioned in my great-uncle Wilf's will, and was the grand- daughter of John Hollis (another of my great-uncles'). I have always understood (though have found no documentary evidence) that the marriage of Charles and Joan was in Chesterfield, and that Charles originated from Birmingham.

Obviously, I do need to obtain a marriage certificate for William Hollis and Eleanor Hilton and I will be doing so as soon as I can!!!!!!

Thanks again for all your help!

Michael.
    Last edited by sharples44; 16-05-2015 at 8:00 PM. Reason: typo!

Hi

It can be expensive buying certificates so sometimes a choice has to be made as to which ones are definitely neededand which are really only going to satisfy a 'need to know'
    Like you I can find no evidence of a marriage for Joan Stephens to a Hilton at any time anywhere in the UK. Her son M J H's marriage was registered in the March 1/4 1972 registration district Basford (Nottinghamshire) vol 3c page 271 Brides initials S J R.
    It seems they had a daughter in September 1/4 1972 Nottingham

If you are wanting to make contact with the son then the phone directory would give you an address to write to.
    I will take a further look for Charles John Stephens later.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Dundee10

As you can see from my post on your other thread, Daniel's grandfather Thomas HILTON was in Australia by 1850 so you would have to maybe go sideways or quite a way back from Joan's husband/partner to find a connection.

The same goes for the HOLLIS family who, if I have the right 1851 census record, were from the Scropton/Etwall area, not Chesterfield.

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hello

I think I am going bug-eyed and can't see a marriage for Stevens/Stephens and Hilton as yet.
    Christina

ps Forgot to say that it appears that Agnes nee Hollis and Charles J Stevens moved to Kent after their marriage and all of their children's births were registered in the Milton reg dist.in Kent.
    Yes I was getting muddled with Stevens and Stephens so ignore the above re births in Kent.

If you go to FreeBMD, click on births and type Stevens in to surname box and Hollis in to the mother's maiden name box you will get 4 births in Chesterfield.
    1920 Louis G , 1921 Margaret J, 1926 Frances M, 1929 Lawrence E.

Margaret J Hollis married George Hilton 1945 Chesterfield. So the initial J in Margaret's name may mean she was using her middle name of Joan? Is the mystery of a Stevens/Hilton marriage solved?

Christina
    William Burroughs

Death registration
    Margaret Joan Hilton age 83
    Born 19 May 1921
    Date Registered April 2005
    Registration district - Chesterfield, Derbyshire
    Register number C76E
    District and subdistrict 393/1C
    Entry Number 203

Christina
    William Burroughs

There are 9 death registrations for George Hilton in Derbyshire 1916 - 2007.
    If we discount the ones with a middle initial (none for his marriage to Margaret J) and those not in Chesterfield it leaves only this one.
    George Hilton age 66
    Born 24 July 1921
    Registered Sept 1987 at Chesterfield vol 6 page 432

There is this birth which is the only one in the correct time frame assuming George was also born in Derbyshire.

Registered Sept 1/4 1921
    George Hilton
    mother's maiden name Cramp
    Chesterfield vol 7b page 1482

Marriage reg June 1/4 1916 Chesterfield vol 7b page 1438
    George W Hilton to Alice M Cramp

Possible death reg
    George William Hilton
    born 5 Jan 1884
    Registered Sept 1977
    Age at Death - 93
    Registration district - Chesterfield Derbyshire
    Volume 6 Page 0263

Christina
    William Burroughs