Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Haslam/Smith

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Christina. I think that there is every likelihood that this Frank Meisner could be the one I am looking for! Can you tell me what the source of your information was - i.e. census, electoral roll etc. - as it's one I will try and follow up!

Generally, three hours drive is not considered a great distance in Canada! And they may well have moved to Alliston at some stage - I think it was in the mid to late 70's that my brother went to Alliston to meet them. As far as I know, they only met on the one occasion, athough there were also occasional phone calls between them.

Sorry, it is on the Ancestry's Canada Voter's List but it gives no other information other than that I posted.

The last entry is 1962 when they are living at Tecsumeh Road Essex east Ontario. Frank is a foreman at a factory and his wife is still Mrs. with no first name. At the same address is a Caroline Meisner occupation stenographer.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

I have now discovered that the Edith that I should be looking for is not the Edith M Smith I referred to in earlier posts (although she is part of our family tree!

The Edith who is possibly the mother of the 'Cousin Bee' (who is the person I am really trying to find out about) is actually an Edith Haslam who was born in 1882 in Brampton, Chesterfield, who was an aunt of my mother, Bessie Hollis.

Edith Haslam is also listed in the 1891 and 1901 Censuses living with another family in Brampton.

My 'Brickwall' is finding out who this Edith married, and whether they had a daughter Bessie who would be the Cousin Bee that I am looking for!

I am at a loss to know how to proceed any further on this one! Any suggestions?

Hello
    I see that in the 1891 RG12/2764/103/41 and1901 RG13/3252/10/12 censuses Edith is living with Sam and Betsy May and is recorded as their niece. Could it be that when Edith married she named her daughter Betsy in honour of her aunt and not Bessie.

Is Bessie/Bee's marriage to Frank Meisner still correct?

Using FreeBMD there are 3 marriages of an Edith Haslam in Derbyshire 1901 to 1911.
    1901 is an Edith Annie Haslam so we will discount her because of the middle name and Edith's birth reg doesn't show one.

In 1907 to either a Thomas Mather or a Wilfrid John Turk and in 1908 to either a John Thomas Lawson or a Henry Robotham
    I can't see an Edith b c1882 to a Thomas Mather or John Turk, John Thomas Lawson or Henry Robotham in 1911.

Looking at the 1911 census only shows an Edith married to a John Mather. Her age is 27 so a couple of years younger than she should be and her birthplace is Coal Aston not Brampton. However Coal Aston is in the registration district Chesterfield as is Brampton. They have a son Colin with them aged 2 and have been married 3 years. But I think this is the possible marriage of John Mather
    Marriages Dec 1907 to Edith Croves or Edith Fletcher Chesterfield 7b 1567

So what happened to the Edith Haslam on the same page of marriages as Thomas Mather and Wifr*d John Turk? Neither of whom I can find on the 1911 census.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I am going round in circles on this one

Starting with your immediate family,

Your mother was Bessie HOLLIS b 1912 Chesterfield mmn HASLAM

Marriage Helen HASLAM to Jospeph R HOLLIS Dec 1911 I presume these are her parents.

Latest census has a Helen HASLAM b 1890 living with a widowed father John Haslam 59 b Barlow
    Hector Haslam 23
    Helen Haslam 21
    Elice Haslam 15
    Fred Haslam 13

Other siblings Kate b 1876
    Mary Annie Haslam 1878
    Maria Haslam 1879
    Mark Haslam 1882
    Earnest Haslam b1885

According to the obit for John his father was Mark both could have been well known Huntsman! ( ? b 1813 Barlow Derbys)

Moving to

Edith HASLAM b 1882 bp d/o Samuel & Martha HASLAM of Brampton book seller

Samuel HASLAM married 19 Feb 1866 to Martha BRIDDON d/o Samuel

Sam MAY married 20 May 1874 Betsey BRIDDON d/o Samuel SISTERS

Samuel & Martha had in total 14 children 9 living at 1911 census date.I can find 13 incl Edith who was living with her moither's sister & husband.

Samuel HASLAM appears to be the child of Robert & Ann HASLAM

I cannot find a connection between the HASLAM family of Helen ( Ellen) born Barlow or the family of Edith HASLAM. born Brampton

The villages on maps. google are approx 4 miles apart!

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    I am going round in circles on this one
    I am in the club too and I haven't even looked at the interfamily relationships, just Edith and a possible marriage.

Just found this death which may or may not be significant.

Edith Mather age 58 born c1883
    Registered June 1941
    Registration district - Chesterfield Derbyshire
    Vol 7b Page 1390

Christina
    William Burroughs

Thought it was only me

Starting to feel at home

Thankyou Geneius for your input on this one! My mother, Bessie (b.1912) was the daughter of Frederick Hollis and Hetty Haslam.

Samuel Haslam and Martha Haslam (Briddon) were therefore my mother's grandparents on her mother's side.

Your information on Sam May has clarified for me the relationship with Edith Haslam, who is the main subject of my present research, so that has been of great interest to me!

The other target of my present research is another Bessie (a cousin of the Bessie who was my mother). I have a photo of "Aunty Edith" (Edith Haslam), and "Cousin Bessie". This cousin Bessie moved to Canada. It is this Cousin Bessie who I am trying to establish exactly where she fits in the family tree. Because of the photo, I have assumed that she was the daughter of Edith, but since I can find no record of Edith being married, that may not be correct.

And, of course, I do not know Cousin Bessie's surname! She could be a Haslam or a Hollis (but I can't find any other Bessie in the Haslam/Hollis trees other than my mother), or else something quite different!

However, thanks for your help on this - it's much appreciated!

Starting to feel at home

I think I mentioned that the only evidence I have for "Cousin Bessie" is the photo in my possession that has an inscription on the back which reads "Cousin Bessie and Aunty Edith".

My brother (now deceased) wrote on the back of the photo that Cousin Bee moved to Alliston, Ontario. My brother who lived in Toronto actually visited Cousin Bee on one occasion in the 70's. From my sister-in-law I learned that Cousin Bee was living with a Frank Meisner (and I understood that they were married)!

On the evidence of the photo, I assumed that Cousin Bessie was the daughter of Edith Haslam, but I have no evidence of that, and it might be an unfounded assumption!

Thanks for your continued assistance! I can't afford to do so right at the present, but when I am financial enough I intend to try and obtain the marriage certificate for the Frank and Mrs Meisner who you found in Tecumseh, which I hope will confirm that one way or another!

Thanks for coming back to us!

Thankyou Geneius for your input on this one! My mother, Bessie (b.1912) was the daughter of Frederick Hollis and Hetty Haslam.
    Being a I got the wrong parents in Helen & Jos R HOLLIS even the wrong county....CORRECTING my error

Hetty HASLAM married Frederick HOLLIS Dec 1906 Hunslet 9b 547 ( Hunslett being a suburb of Leeds Yorks!)

Hetty is born circa 1886 & Baptised 10 September 1891 St. Thomas, Brampton, Derbyshire, the daughter of Samuel & Martha ( I had her listed as one of the children) and sister to Edith HASLAM living with her Aunt & Uncle MAY

On the evidence of the photo, I assumed that Cousin Bessie was the daughter of Edith Haslam, but I have no evidence of that, and it might be an unfounded assumption!
    Edith could have been on the photo with one of her nieces i.e brother & sisters children. At the 1911 census there were 9 living! Have you followed each of the lines to discount any other potential nieces!

I have

ADA R b 1867 / Robert Reeves b 1867 d 1867 / Annie b 1868 d 1868 / Earnest b 1870 / Harry 1871 / Annie 1874 / Gertrude 1876 / Florence 1878 / Mary Alice 1880 / EDITH 1882 ( lived with the MAY's)/ Thos William 1885 / HETTY b 1886 / Martha aka Pattie b 1887 / May 1888//

Baptisms etc on line at familysearch.org

I should have mentioned the MAY's left money, Grant of Probate is on line, getting their Wills may prove fruitful

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast