telman

Default Josiah Adams Monkton Kent 1822

I am appealing the the greater knowledge and asking if anyone in their research has come across the cause of death of Josiah Adams who died in 1822 this is even strange as his son Died a few weeks earlier only a few weeks after his (Josiah) daughters marriage. Does anyone out there know where one could turn to trace this piece of social history. The family lived in Monkton and both were buried in St Magdalene Church I believe he was a village blacksmith He was married to a Mary Sackett Watson Horton.

Any info would be most welcome. Thanks in anticipation Tel

Reputation beyond repute

I believe he was a village blacksmith
    That's what the parish register says.

cause of death of Josiah Adams who died in 1822
    Occasionally you can come across a note in the burial register but there isn't one in this case. I'm afraid the cause of death is unlikely to be recorded anywhere else unless it was a violent death and there was an inquest.

telman

Thank you Peter appreciate that it is a pity as it would have been interesting to have known but perhaps one-day I will stumble on something.

Thanks Again

Brick wall demolition expert!

I have been looking at some burials and come across the South London Burials Index 1545-1905, and for one of the people I was looking for there in 1827 a cause of death is written - scarlet fever.

So if you haven't seen the actual burial record I think that you should try to find it, as you never know, you might strike lucky.

This is the first time that I have seen a disease annotated in the records. Previously any such notes tend to have been limited to very unusual events, such as an old lady who was killed on a level crossing by a train, just after the line was built, and next to her burial record the vicar recorded "she did not know what a train was".

Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    That's what the parish register says.
    I am guessing that Peter has taken a look at the original parish registers ( the majority of East Kent parish images are now available on Find My Past and are "indexed")

Another possible (but rare) source of cause of death may be in settlement applications/disputes etc. If there was a widow and/or children who became in need of parish rellief. Also, don't forget to check newspapers....again, causes of death were often limited to those of a more serious or unusual nature, or to prominent members of the community, but still worth checking.
    Last edited by Wilkes_ml; 16-05-2015 at 2:31 PM. Reason: spelling & punctuation