Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Mildmay Mission/Institution, Borough, London

My great grandmother gave her occupation and address on my grandfather's birth certificate as 'Parlour maid, 60 Trinity Square, Borough in 1897. No father is given.

Through various research including Peter Higginbotham's Childrenshomes.org.uk I have discovered that this was a Mildmay Haven and Home for fallen girls, which was founded in 1886. There was another one at 63 Kennington Park Road, Lambeth. According to Peter Higginbotham's information, there were 24 places at Trinity Square and admission was for girls under 25.
    The Mildmay institution was started by the Rev. Pennefather in 1864 and trained women for parochial work in the poorest communities. These Christian women were called 'deaconess' and I note from the 1891 census that a deaconess named Annie Heath born 1846, Kintbury, Berkshire ran the home at 60 Trinity Square. By the 1911 census she had moved to run the home at 63 Kennington Park Road.
    My grandfather was actually born in the Clapham Maternity Hospital 41 Jeffrey's Road Clapham, founded in 1889 for married women and young girls with their first baby who had 'hitherto been respectable'.
    I can find no trace of my great grandmother and without a date or place of birth, I can get no further.
    Does anyone have knowledge of records kept by the Mildmay Mission and/or Clapham Maternity Hospital which could help me with my brickwall?
    Many thanks. Carolyn

gasser

https://www.aim25.ac.uk/cgi-bin/vcdf/...&coll_id=11892 gives info on where to find records for Clapham Maternity Hospital.
    and for Mildmay Mission Hospital ....https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...c-ae475488850b

Perhaps if you were to give your gr.grandmothers name the sleuths on here may be able to help find her.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks gasser for your reply. Silly me not to add her name! She was Annie Slattery. Any help gratefully received.

Hello
    Do you have your grandfather on the 1901 and 1911 censuses? oh and what is his name? Any little piece of info that may help identify his mother.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello, I have the information regarding my grandfather in the 1901 and 1911 census.
    He is known as Edward Slattery in the 1901 census and is living with Frederick and Harriet Tilbury and 3 of their 5 daughters at 26 Victoria Road Godalming. He is 3 years old and described as 'adopted son'.
    In the 1911 census, they have moved to 91 Courtney Road, Woking and he is now know as Edwin Tilbury 'son'. His birth date is 20th April, 1897.
    As I mentioned above, I am trying to trace his mother Annie Slattery who gave her address on his birth certificate as 60 Trinity Square, Borough, which I know to be a Mildmay Haven and Home for fallen girls.
    Many thanks in advance for any help with this.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Help still needed!

I am just updating my thread regarding my lost great grandmother Annie Slattery. I spent a fruitless (but nevertheless fascinating) day at the LONDON METROPOLITAN ARCHIVES this week in my quest. I have learned about the CLAPHAM MATERNITY HOSPITAL (later ANNIE McCALL MATERNITY HOSPITAL) from their Minute Book but there are no patient records. The hospital was destroyed in WWII.
    So far I cannot find any archive for the MILDMAY DEACONESS INSTITUTE which ran the refuge at 60 TRINITY SQUARE, BOROUGH.
    I was able to visit and photograph Trinity Square (now Trinity Church Square) and Jeffreys Road, Clapham to see the site of the hospital plus the house at 63 KENNINGTON PARK ROAD, LAMBETH, where another MILDMAY HAVEN AND HOME existed until at least 1911.
    If any of you super sleuths have an idea what I should do next, do let me know. I have included details of my grandfather from the 1901 and 1911 censuses above.
    Many thanks