Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Smile F.G.Parkin Cycle Agent Worcester

I have an early motorcycle (c.1903-1905) with this name on it. I have been trying to track down either Kelly's or Littlebury's Directories to establish when Parkin might have started business at 17 The Tything. The Directories for the beginning of the last Century should be at the Hive records office in Worcester, but a friend could not find them. Can anybody help, either with conformation of their location somewhere, or of Parkin. Thankyou in advance, and best wishes to All.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I had a look in the 1901 and 1911 Censuses. I could not see anyone of that name in Worcester in the 1901 census, but for the 1911 Census:
    Frederick George Parkin Head Married 38 1873 Droitwich Motor And Cycle Dealer
    Lilian M Parkin Wife Married 38 1873 Walworth London -
    Leslie Frank Parkin Son - 5 1906 Worcester School

They had been married for 6 years and had just the one child.

So then back tracking: Frederick George Parkin married Lilian Maud Ensoe in Brighton in 1905.

Frederick was actually born in 1872 in Droitwich and you can find him there in the 1881 Census living with his parents. His father was a “Yeomanry Drill Instructor / Inspector of Nuisances” and his parents both came from Devon. He was still there in 1891 with his family and he was a grocer’s assistant. I can’t find him in the 1901 census.

I had thought looking in the censuses might help us track how and where he got into the business. Interestingly I can’t find any records for his wife before their marriage, including a birth registration.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Wow! Thankyou so much for that Megan Roberts, Fantastic. Now I just need to track down the Littlebury's and Kelly's. With best wishes

gasser

gasser

The address is a listed building......https://www.britishlistedbuildings.co...e#.VT_bL4akqrU

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi franfogg,

Welcom to British-Genealogy.

When your friend went to the Hive archives did they actually ask the staff if they had the directories, or did they just look on the shelf and 'couldn't see them'?
    I have to say that it's very strange that there doesn't seem to be any local directories around. Is it possible that they are in the library as opposed to the archives?

There are some directories online but none for that vital 1903-1907 time.
    https://tinyurl.com/l9a283p

Frederick's marriage certificate might confirm if he was living in Worcester at the time of his marriage. It should confirm his occupation, but even that can change in a year. He was certainly in Worcester at the end of 1905/beginning of 1906 as his son's birth was registered there in March quarter 1906.

Pam

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks Gasser for these. I'd already been through this amazing resource, and also found that 17 The Tything was Grade11 listed. My frustration is that the '03,'05 and 10 Littlebury's, and '04 Kelly's should exist at the Hive in Worcester, but they are not on microfilm, and my pal couldn't find the actual Directories. I've just buzzed Redditch, Stourport and Bromsgrove Libraries where other copies should be, I don't hold up much hope, but will post the results. All the best

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Pam, thanks for this. My pal, who went to the coal-face as it were, met with a bit of a "don't know, don't want to know" attitude and came away rather dis-spirited from the encounter. In theory there should be examples of the '03,05 and 10 Littlebury's, and '04 Kelly's there. I've just emailed three other libraries where there 'should' be copies (buoyed-up by the great response in just an afternoon from your site!) If I get anything useful, I'll post it

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Just had a reply from Bromsgrove Library, to say that they have a copy of Kelly's Directory for Worcestershire for 1904. It is not on the open shelves and is, I believe, to be found in drawer No.30. I thought this might be useful.
    Last edited by franfogg; 30-04-2015 at 7:52 AM. Reason: bad spelling!

Kelly's Directory 1896 has "The Tything" running between "Foregate Street and Barbourne Road"

1901 Census ref RG13 2780 22 35
    This covers the area around Sansome Walk and Foregate Street

At schedule no 204 it looks like "Cycle Works" and is marked "Uninhabited/in occupation"
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast