Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Race Family in Bishop Auckland, Durham area

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting so please bear with me. I am from the United States and have run up against a brick wall in attempts to further trace my family. All of my ancestors come from the Bishop Auckland area, most from the St Andrews Parish. This is as far back as I can go and records are incomplete. John Race is my 4th great grandfather.

John Race b1801 d1872 married to Ann Hull b Apr 7, 1803 - St.Helens Auckland Durham, England d July 1879. Marriage St Andrew, Aukland, Durham, England, July 14th 1822

Children:

Mary Race b1824 Auckland, St Andrew, Durham, England
    Ann Race b1825 Bishop Auckland, Durham, England
    John Race Jr b abt 1831 Bishop Auckland, Durham, England, married to Margaret Greenwell DEc 18th, 1852 - Parish Church, St Andrew Auckland, Durham, England.
    Agnes Race b Dec 6 1835 Bishop Auckland, Durham, England
    Jane Race b Jan, 1844 Bishop Auckland, Durham, England

I am looking for any information I can find! Current family living, any direction or link that could be of assistance in tracing any records regarding marriages, birth, death, burial. I have record of baptism for all the above children stating Auckland Saint Andrew, Durham, England.

John Race Jr & Margaret Greenwell had many children, one being Joseph Sibley Race, my 2nd great gransfather. He migrated to the United States in 1844 with his wife, Maria Hall Redman (Readman).

Again, any information from anyone would be very much appreciated! I am planning a trip there in 2017 and would like to confiirm as much as I can beforehand. The trip is for this purpose.

Thanks in advance.... Mark

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

hi,,do you have the family in the census returns?

1851, 1861, 1871 England Census has the children listed. They appear and drop off as there ages change & they leave home. The only child of John Race that I was able to trace a marriage on was my 3rd great grandfather, John Race Jr to Margaret Greenwell. He is listed in the 1851 England Census, Jno Race, his fathers spelling of "John" being the same.

Have you looked for death certificates?

I'm looking for anything! Lol... sorry, yes. I find vague references, some documentation but very little. There are various census records that have brought me to all of the family names, baptisms, but that is about all I have had to go on. I am not sure if St Andrews actually has internet searchable records available to the public. The manner in which record searches in England are done are a little different than the United States so that has slowed me down a bit. Of course, there is allot more history there than here. The Race Family in itself, in the Auckland and surrounding area was fairly large, and of course, they gave similar or identical names to there children.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by MRace View Post
    John Race Jr b abt 1831 Bishop Auckland, Durham, England, married to Margaret Greenwell DEc 18th, 1852 - Parish Church, St Andrew Auckland, Durham, England.

John Race Jr & Margaret Greenwell had many children, one being Joseph Sibley Race, my 2nd great gransfather. He migrated to the United States in 1844 with his wife, Maria Hall Redman (Readman).

Mark

Can I get you to double check your dates?

If John and Margaret (Greenwell) married in 1852, then their son Joseph can have emigrated in 1844.

Do you have a copy of John and Margaret's marriage certificate? If so what was John's job?

Presumably the burial record that you have shown in your last post is for John senior?

Yes, i'm sorry. I'm all over the page, i'll try too slow down a bit and be more descriptive. The burial record was from John Race Sr.

I mis-typed the immigration year for Joseph Sibley Race, John Race Jr's son. He immigrated to the United States in 1884, my apologies. Unfortunately the actual records of departure / arrival were lost in the fire at Ellis Island in 1897. That arrival year is taken from US Census records based on various years here.

What is listed on the census for both years for John Race Jr is Mole Killer, Mole Catcher

In these two attachments are 1861 & 1871 England Census for John Race Sr, same type of employment, Mole Killer, Mole Catcher. The very top 1851 England Census shows both father & son, employed the same. I do not have a birth cert on either father or son, estimated birth years are from the census's.

1851 John Race snr
    HO107 Piece 2385 Folio 267 Page 29

1861 Census - John Race jnr
    RG 9 Piece 3705 Folio 94 Page 29
    Last edited by christanel; 29-04-2015 at 3:53 AM. Reason: removed complete census images - breach of copyright.

Hello
    I have removed the images of the full census pages and transcription of marriage as this breaches the terms of copyright. You can, I believe, post the relevant part of the image, but easier still is to just give the reference numbers as I have done with a couple of the images.

On familysearch.org
    John Race
    Born 13 Oct 1802
    Christened 5 December 1802 at Greatham Durham
    Father - William
    Mother - Elizabeth Cook

Greatham is just under 20 miles from Bishop Auckland.

John Race b1801 d1872 married to Ann Hull b Apr 7, 1803 - St.Helens Auckland Durham, England d July 1879. Marriage St Andrew, Aukland, Durham, England, July 14th 1822
    There are two marriage records for this couple. The first has the date as above and the second says 3 Aug 1822 so is the first date a calling of the banns? You can order the film in to your nearest LDS centre. It may even have more information than the transcription such as father's names.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I suppose I need to go back & read all of the do's & don'ts. Sorry. Thank you so much for the help.

Brick wall demolition expert!

John junior appears in the 1881 census on his own: Piece 4913; Folio 71; Page 41. It says that he is married but there is no sign of his family.

In the 1861 Census John senior is shown married to Agnes rather than Ann. Piece 3705 Folio 60 Page 4 .

John and Margaret's son Joseph appears in the 1861 census, but seems to have vanished after that date.

Joseph Race and Maria Readman married the Jan quarter of 1877 at Auckland Vol 10A Page 228. You can use this information to order their marriage certificate from the General Registry Office at a cost of £9.25. Only buy from the official source and not a third party who will charge you more. The URL is https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/ They post overseas.

That certificate will tell you where they were living, their occupations, the names of their fathers and their occupations. You may also get clues from the names of the witnesses.

Joseph and Maria appear in the 1881 census with their children John and Elizabeth: Piece number 4930 Folio 115 Page 32

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast