JuneC

Exclamation Independent Chapel at Morley

Although I have googled and checked elsewhere I have been unable to really find out what religion an Independent Chapel was for.

I have a family whose ancestors seem to have been married and baptised in an Independent Chapel (in and around Leeds). When he - Aquila Firth - marries, all the children are baptised/registered? in the Independent Church around their time of their birth.

However about 10 years later Aquila and his children are baptised in the Parish of St Mark Woodhouse. Under Aquila's name it says An Adult. However no record of the mother Hannah. I have been unable to find her death but am still looking as I thought that maybe the father had gone along with the Independent baptism for the mothers sake.

Would like to try and find out more about what religion it was though.

Thanks to anyone who can help me.
    Kind regards - June

Reputation beyond repute

Although I have googled and checked elsewhere I have been unable to really find out what religion an Independent Chapel was for.
    Later known as Congregational, generally speaking. Later still, subsumed into the United Reformed Church.

See also this list -
    https://wakefieldfhs.org.uk/morleyfhg...n%20Morley.htm

which confirms that was indeed the situation with the Morley Independent chapels.

JuneC

Thank you so much. That has helped. Have now googled and found what I need to know.

Kind regards - June

"However, no record of the mother Hannah. I have unable to find her death......". Do you mean unable to find her death in the Independent Chapel records or not at all??

Leeds Mercury, 12 Mar 1864
    DEATHS - Mar 8th, age 60, Hannah, wife of Mr Aquila Firth, of Woodhouse
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

You haven't identified any dates - therefore, if my previous post is somewhat wide of the mark please accept my apologies.
    But, one question, did he marry a Susannah (Hannah??) Cockroft?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

JuneC

My apologies for not putting in further information I was just so excited at finding this site that I rushed in and entered insufficient information.

Aquila was the son of Joseph Firth and Hannah Lassey and was born in 1826. He married Mary Grayson in Wortley in 1848.

Aquila and Hannah had their children baptised at the Independent Chapel at Morley as they were born, but as I said about 10 years later he has them all baptised in the Parish Church. His wife Hannah however is not mentioned and I am wondering if she had died and he decided to change religions, or if she had died and he was going to remarry someone else who wanted them all baptised in the local parish church.

A bit of a puzzle for me to chase down and interesting as I had not come across congregationalists before.

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards - June

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by JuneC View Post

Aquila was the son of Joseph Firth and Hannah Lassey and was born in 1826. He married Mary Grayson in Wortley in 1848.
    Hi June, I'm also a direct descendant of the Aquila you mention. What did you find out if I may ask?
    He was a colourful character going by old news clippings in Australia, if you want I can link them to you.
    Good Luck

Duncan Firth