Default Thomas BAKER of Cam

I am trying to find out as much information as I can about the origins of the 1820 settlers to the Cape of Good Hope. One family from Cam in Gloucestershire has got me going round in circles, so I am wondering if any of you can see anything obvious that I've missed.

Thomas BAKER and his wife Esther emigrated with Bradshaw's Party and they are listed in the final settler return that I have transcribed at https://www.eggsa.org/1820-settlers/i...adshaw-s-party

The only baptisms that I have found for the children are for the two youngest, Rachel and Enoch, who were baptised in Cam Congregational Chapel (RG8 12C) in 1817 and 1819 respectively. These two children must have died just prior to sailing, as they do not appear on the arrivals listings and the names Rachel and Enoch were given to subsequent children born at the Cape.

I have not found a marriage for Thomas and Esther, but given that Thomas was 38 and Esther was 25 in 1819, and the eldest BAKER child was 13, with a gap between Ann and Rachel of six years, I am rather presuming that Esther was a second wife and that the older children came from a first marriage.

There are two marriages of a Thomas BAKER in Cam, one to Rose SANIGAR in 1803 and the second one of the same Thomas as a widower (signatures match) to Ann FRENCH in 1814, following the burial of Rose in 1813. These dates fit, but I cannot find any likely baptisms for Elizabeth, Hannah, Sarah and Ann, although there ARE baptisms for a George and Thomas, and the age for Thomas is only a couple of years out (mistakes were made on the returns). George could either have died or been apprenticed and hence unable to emigrate with the family. However, I am not convinced that this is the right Tomas BAKER, especially as the second wife is called Ann rather than Esther.

Can anyone find the marriage of Thomas and Esther and the baptisms of the older children?
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

gasser

According to this https://www.southafricansettlers.com/?p=136
    Esther was born 1790 and the eldest child, Elizabeth, was born 1806 thus making it possible for Esther to be her mother. However, just at this moment, I have not found anything to corroborate these findings, but worth bearing in mind for the moment.

Thanks. I had looked at that site (it's by no means infallible), but hadn't picked up on the earlier birth date for Esther.
    Sue Mackay

Aha. Don't know if I'm getting any closer but I have found a marriage on Family Search for 20 June 1816 in St.James, Bristol between a Thomas BAKER and a Hester RICKETTS. Hester for Esther I can accept. What's more there is a baptism for a Hester RICKETTS in Westerleigh, Glos on 13 January 1795, which ties in with her age on the settler return. Looks like I might have to wait for original Bristol parish registers before putting this family to bed via primary sources.
    Sue Mackay

gasser

umm!
    and this is interesting, also from familysearch
    Elizabeth Baker
    Christening Date: 29 Sep 1806
    Christening Place: STINCHCOMBE,GLOUCESTER,ENGLAND
    Father's Name: Thomas Baker
    Mother's Name: Rose

I wonder if he married three times! The Thomas who married Rose married Ann FRENCH in 1814, and I have just found a burial in Cam in 1815 for an Ann BAKER aged 38. That would give him time to hop down to Bristol to marry again in 1816
    Sue Mackay

gasser

.... liked his women didn't he?

janbooth

From Cam parish registers via Ancestry:

15 January 1804 George son of Thomas & Rose BAKER baptised
    23 May 1805 Thomas son of Thomas & Rose BAKER baptised

From Stinchcombe parish registers via Ancestry:

29 September 1806 Elizabeth daughter of Thomas & Rose BAKER (Cam) baptised

The latter confirms that the baptism found by Gasser on Family Search is indeed the daughter of Thomas & Rose of Cam, but so far no success in finding the baptisms of the other children. I will keep looking though.

Janet