Tonym

Default Nurses burial locations

Where am I likely to obtain a list of burials for the nurses who died in the Boer War?

Tony

Tonym

Well ! It was worth try

Tony

CanCan

This may be useful if you have names .....

https://www.roll-of-honour.com/Databa...ses/index.html

Tonym

CanCan

Thank you for your interest. I have a rheumatiod problem restricting my activities at the moment so will check that website later.

Tony

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Tony,

Please don't ever think that people 'can't be bothered' if no-one replies to your thread. (Only get worried when the 'views' count is zero! )
    The truth is that, depending on their level of 'expertise', people will try to find answers but often come up with no satisfactory results. And sometimes the person who might have the answer isn't on the forum at the time your question is posted (e.g. on holiday, in hospital). By coincidence I've been reading an old thread where part of the topic was whether a poster really wanted a hundred people all to post a 'sorry-mate-can't-find-an-answer' reply, or whether it was better not to post any reply in those circumstances.

There was also an extremely good piece of advice amongst the replies in that thread:
    It won't be because everyone has decided they don't want to answer you, it will be because they haven't yet found an answer. So if your question doesn't have an answer in 24 hours I should think it would be a good idea to look at the question and see if there is further information you can give that might spread the search.....
    In your case, are you looking for a particular person? If so, what do you know about them? How do you know they were a nurse in the Boer War? Do you know if nurses were still classed as civilians back then, or did they have 'army nurses'? Ooh - that's interesting. I could only remember 'Queen Alexandra's army nurses', so did a google. Have a look at what's written under the photo.
    https://www.qaranc.co.uk/

There's a link to the Army Medical Service Museum. I don't know if they would be able to help.
    https://www.qaranc.co.uk/qarancmuseum.php

Pam

Tonym

Hello Pam

Forgive the delay with my reply but I have a rheumatoid problem that has been rather painful recently. However, thank you for your post, I appreciate your comments but my ‘Worth a try’ post was not impatience but a memory jog after 64 nil views. However that must have worked as I received your response and one other, a few more I note since then.

I have 46 Boer War nursing casualties listed and I am aware of where most of them died I was just interested in which cemetery they were buried probably no longer known but as I sai it was worth a try.

Best wishes, Tony

Tonym

It's been a long and difficult time but I bring this back to the top to hopefully try again
    Tony

thewideeyedowl

Hi Tony...

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.." Quite honestly, I don't think there is going to be a neat list of names anywhere. (But if you were able to gather the info, you could collate it and then publish it online.)

My first thought, though, is that a nurse who died in conflict would be buried at/near the location of her death. So you would need to trawl through military cemeteries in South Africa to gather the info. Have just chanced upon this SA site, which is really - I think - for SA casualties, but might be worth a look: https://www.southafricawargraves.org/. And, of course, ask a search engine where British military casualties were buried.

If researching a British nurse, then go to Scarlet Finders, which covers nursing before WW1 (as well as during that conflict). This is the dedicated Boer War page: https://www.scarletfinders.co.uk/16.html. There is then a link to the Royal College of Nursing, with advice to search old issues of the RCN Journal. Trouble is that is now an expired link and I cannot find anything similar on the new-look RCN website.

If the nurse casualty was a British girl, then she may be listed on a Boer War Memorial in her home town. So if you know a name, feed it into a search engine and see what comes up. If you can get info from the British end, you might then be able to expand the search into SA.

Incidentally, Australia played a part in the Boer War and there are several useful Australian websites dedicated to the conflict.

Sorry I cannot offer anything more specific but there might be some pointers here.

Owl

It's probably worth taking a look at the Genealogical Society of SouthAfrica's page HERE. They have images of some of the war memorials and war graves from both sides.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

36 nursing sisters died during the Boer War so let me know their names & I will search for you.