Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rochoy

Default Brooks family, Marylebone, Middlesex

Hi, Please could someone help me with the following, I'm researching William Bickerton Brooks, and his family. William lived at 61,Seymour Place, St Marylebone, (census 1881) He was married to MARY JANE PUDDY HARDWICK (b. 1849 Portbury, Somerset). I am trying to find a marriage record for them, Church or GRO Ref. (so far no luck in Gloucester/Somerset)
    They had 4 children, I am trying to find Church records for the 1st two sons, JOHN WILLIAM BROOKS b. 1875 Marylebone, (census 1881) I cannot even find a GRO ref for him and FREDERICK SAMUEL BICKERTON BROOKS b. DEC 1878 (GRO 1a pg 459) Marylebone.
    I have GEORGE WILLIAM BICKERTON BROOKS's Copy of birth, and have a Church entry ST Lukes, Marylebone, Middlesex, b. 30 June 1880 ~ 20 Nov 1881.
    Their 4th child (not on Census) ELIZA MARY JANE BICKERTON BROOKS b.(GRO 1a pg 573) 7 Dec 1884 ~ 11 Jan 1885 St Mary's Church, in the Parish of ST MARYLEBONE, Middlesex.
    William Bickerton Brooks was a Coach Painter according to GWB Brooks's copy of Birth and on EMJB Brooks, Baptism he was a Coach Builder. I would also like to try and find WB Brooks's birth and Parents. (so far no luck in Gloucester/Somerset) Any help will be very much appreciated. Regards Barbara

Barbara, can you tell us how you got back to William Bickerton Brooks? Where was your starting point? You have George William Bickerton Brooks birth certificate, is he an ancestor and do you have his marriage certificate? Where were the family after 1881? Please share all the info you have coming forward from WBB.

Loves to help with queries

Familysearch has a marriage of a Mary Jane HARDWICK daughter of William marrying a Thomas HUNT at Bedminster in July 1871. The census for that year has a Mary Jane HARDWICK born Portbury in Bedminster with father William and family. It this is your Mary Jane it might explain why you can't find her marriage to William BROOKS, maybe she was still married to Mr HUNT>

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
    Familysearch has a marriage of a Mary Jane HARDWICK daughter of William marrying a Thomas HUNT at Bedminster in July 1871. The census for that year has a Mary Jane HARDWICK born Portbury in Bedminster with father William and family. It this is your Mary Jane it might explain why you can't find her marriage to William BROOKS, maybe she was still married to Mr HUNT>

Sue
    Think I saw a marriage earlier for William to a female Hunt. I'll go check and report back.

Rochoy

Hi, George William Bickerton Brooks, is my grandsons, G-Great Grandfather, He immigrated with his mother, Mary Jane Puddy Brooks nee Hardwick , 2 brothers and sister to South Africa on 27 May 1890, he was 9yrs old. They sailed on the Pembroke Castle. I think, WILLIAM BICKERTON BROOKS, his father, died Mar 1887 Marylebone(GRO Mar 1887 1a pg 465) as Mary Jane Brooks, widow, married on reaching Cape Town, 24 June 1890, to Robert William Kemm. (As our Postal System is slack, I have not tried to order this document yet. I would however, like to know what kind of information this Document has). George W.B. Brooks, married here 11 April 1904, in South Africa, but no details of his family are given. I traced him back to Marylebone via the 1881 census with his brothers, and mother, I was then able to trace his mother back to Portbury, Somerset. But cannot find WB Brooks or MJP Hardwick's marriage, and I thought having found Eliza and George's Baptism, hopefully I can find John and Frederick's as well, which might help indicate what the fathers occupation was, and possibly, they where married in the same Church as the two boys were Baptised.
    Regards
    Barbara

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Think I saw a marriage earlier for William to a female Hunt. I'll go check and report back.
    No, I am mistaken the name HUNT rang a bell as I had seen the marriage quoted by Sumi.

I did wonder if this can be John William's birth reg.

Dec 1875, BICKERTON John William Marylebone 1a 556

Rochoy

Dec 1875, BICKERTON John William Marylebone 1a 556
    A John Bickerton married Mar 1874 Marylebone vol 1a page 793, this could be the father of John William Bickerton.

I have not been able to find a marriage for Mary Jane Hunt,, to a Brooks, nor a death for Thomas Hunt.

Thanks
    Barbara

The family can be found in 1881 at RG11; Piece: 147; Folio: 69; Page: 35
    Courtesy of TNA

Rochoy

Quote Originally Posted by KathNZ View Post
    The family can be found in 1881 at RG11; Piece: 147; Folio: 69; Page: 35
    Courtesy of TNA
    Thank you, but, sorry how do I find this, I do not know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochoy View Post
    Thank you, but, sorry how do I find this, I do not know it.
    It's the census reference.

Which I think you already have details for, as in #1 you say
    I'm researching William Bickerton Brooks, and his family. William lived at 61,Seymour Place, St Marylebone, (census 1881)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast