Thread: Caward

araven

Default Caward

I am seeking info on John Caward who was born abt 1742 in Yorkshire, England and died 1784 in Market Wheton. He married Unknown Clark and she was born abt 1746 in Market Wheton (Weighton), Yorkshire. They had several children: Margaret, Elizabeth, Ruth, John, George and James. George was born 1775 in Market Wheton and died 1867 in Halls Corner, New York. He married Mary Willson born 1778 in Warter, Yorkshire and died 1834 in Halls Corner, New York. They married in 1798 in Warter, England. Children born in Whitby, Yorkshire,England were: Mary, Sarah, George, Elizabeth and Jane. Children born in Halls Corner, New York were: Margaret, Anna, Ruth, James, Thomas, Clark, William and Wilson.
    I would love to get more info on John as I am at a road block with him. Thanking you in advance!
    Christy

Famous for offering help & advice

Default Cawood?

I don't know anything about your family, I'm afraid, but I do know a bit about some parts of Yorkshire and have come across many of its names. So I'm wondering - have you looked into the spelling CAWOOD? I think it's more usual than CAWARD.

Good luck,
    Arthur Kennedy

araven

Default Caward

Thank you.. and yes I have seen it spelled Cayward,Caward and Cawood. I would imagine sometimes it was hard to read.
    Thank you again,
    Christy

jeeb

Default John Caward

I should imagine this is his marriage:-
    John Caward & Elizabeth Clark 17 July 1767 Shiptonthorpe, Yorks.
    Shiptonthorpe is about 5 miles west of Market Weighton.

Interestingly a member of LDS has submitted the following information, note the same date but one year ealier!

John Caward & Elizabeth Clark 17 July 1766 Market Weighton, Yorks.

Cheers Jeremy
    Last edited by jeeb; 14-09-2005 at 9:36 PM. Reason: to correct spelling

araven

Default Caward

Thank you so much!!! I have only gotten as far back as John Caward and Elizabeth Clark. Don't know anything more past that! Every little bit helps.
    Thanks again,
    Christy

araven

Default Caward

I was wondering if anyone could give me a little more info on Caword or Caward Castle?? Family tradition states our family is a part of that group..
    Thank you,
    Christy

uksearch

Google is a good place to look.Here is just one of the hits...this is purely an example.
    https://www.lhi.org.uk/projects_direc..._castle_1.html

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Caward farther back than John Caward (1742)?

Has anyone gotten back before John Caward (1742), or his wife Elizabeth Clark (1746) in the Caward family?

I have Elizabeth Clark's parents as George Clark and Ann Braithwaite, but no dates or places for either. And I have nothing for John Caward's parents.

My father was born Mason Caward in 1923, but his father died three weeks before he was born. My grandmother Audiss E. Waite met and married Chicago attorney Randolph Bohrer when Dad was 6. Grandpa Randy formally adopted my father.

On my mother's side, family names are Dollar, Taylor and Proudfoot. The Proudfoot institute in Moffat, Scotland was built by bequest of an ancestor in 1893. Through common ancestor Josiah Hand (1756), I can trace back to Charlemagne and Charles Martel.