Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Coroners' Courts/Inquest Reports

I have two ancestors who committed suicide. The death certificates refer to the inquest date and place in both cases. I have the newspaper reports of the deaths and inquests but wonder if the actual report of the inquests will be available and what more they might reveal.

The first inquest was 26th October 1906 in the County Court of London (death occurred in Lewisham) and the other was 5th June 1914, again London with the death in Camberwell.

mfwebb

May not be of any use to you, except to say that original Coroner's Reports DO exist; but I found the original coroner's report of my wife's great grandfather's death in Barnsley in the West Yorkshire Records on Ancestry. They have the original coronor's book of Thomas Taylor (Coroner for the Honour of Pontefract) on-line. A very useful find.

If the area you are searching is not on-line, try the local archives.

All the best,
    Malcolm Webb

Brick wall demolition expert!

The London Metropolitan Archives hold the coroner's records for Southwark, which might have included Camberwell.

https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/thing...al-system.aspx

Lewisham Archives might be able to help - they don't seem to have a very user friendly site!!

https://www.lewisham.gov.uk/inmyarea/...y-history.aspx

Reputation beyond repute

London Metropolitan Archives have an informative guide on the subject here which is well worth reading.

Please see in particular that "all the coroners' inquests and depositions for the County of London dating from
    after 1875 but before 1927 appear to have been destroyed". Note also that "Borough of Southwark" in this context isn't the same as the Metropolitan Borough of Southwark.