Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    genie12

Default Richards family Illogan

John and Eliza Richards son James bapt 1845 at St Keverne marries ( I believe) Elizabeth Jane ? and they have 4 children . James 1871 born Cornwall but bapt Wales. Eliza Ellen who married Edwin Albert Moyle at Illogan. Mary Jane bap 1875 in Wales and Harriett Jane bapt Wales in 1880. Eliza Jane dies but I don't know where. James remarries I believe Elizabeth Ann Harris and has daughters Julia born 1883 Illogan and Thomas H Richards born 1891 Illogan.
    Who is James 1st wife?
    James Richards, according to a census,spent time in Wales with his sister Elizabeth Jane bapt 1854 at Mawgan-in-Meneage. She married James Hayward (born Somerset) . I can't find a marriage for them but they had 9 children all born in Wales. Their eldest was born in 1875.
    The 1 person that I can't find anywhere after 1891 is Thomas Henry Richards born 1860 in Mawgan-in-Meneage and I am hoping that someone will be able to point me in the right direction.

Wilkes_ml

The best way is always to work back through certificates, as birth certificates give mother's maiden name, and usually other names (eg. if widowed in the past) and marriage certificates give information relating to father's name & occupation.

So in this case, you would need to obtain a birth certificate of one of the children: James b. 1871, Eliza Ellen, Mary Jane or Harriett Jane.

Searching for Har*t Jane Richards on FreeBMD gives a Harriott Jane Richards born March Quarter of 1878 in the Helston Registration district. Helston registration district doesn't cover Illogan, but is only a few miles away, so may be worth ordering, but specify that the father needs to be James.

edited to add that I am assuming you are decended from one of James' children from his second marriage, and have obtained one of their borth certificates & marriage certificates.
    Last edited by Wilkes_ml; 30-03-2015 at 7:27 PM. Reason: & spelling

Wilkes_ml

The family are in the 1891 Census ref: RG12 piece 1849 folio 83 pg 12. (for others wanting to check, James is aged 48, born St. Keverne, Cornwall, Railway labourer) , and the eldest two daughters Mary Jane & Harriet A. are both listed as being born in Ystradyfodwg, which is in the Prontypridd registration of Glamorganshire.

Again searching for Har*t Richards born 1878 +/- 2 years in Glamorganshire, gives a birth Registration of a Harriet Ann registered June Quarter 1878 Pontypridd Registration district, ref: 11a 426. I think this is more likely the birth you need, and ties in with the fact that they were baptised in Wales.

genie12

Thanks for the reply.
    I am descended from Mary who bapt 1851 who was a sister to James.
    I dicovered that Harriett Ann married Samuel Frederick Moyle. Her sister married Edwin Albert Moyle. The Moyle's came from Creebraws . I have found the families in the census's. Samuel Moyle died in 1909 but Edwin Albert disappeared never to be heard of again!

From Free BDM there is a death of Elizabeth Jane Richards, aged 40 in the Pontypridd district which covers the Ystradyfodwg area.
    A possibility !

In 1911 James, Elizabeth Ann and Thomas are living in Illogan, married 29 years which makes Elizabeth Ann Harris a good possibility for James' second wife.

Quote Originally Posted by genie12 View Post
    John and Eliza Richards son James bapt 1845 at St Keverne marries ( I believe) Elizabeth Jane ?
    Have you found James and his family on early census records? I am having trouble tracking them down.

genie12

Quote Originally Posted by KathNZ View Post
    Have you found James and his family on early census records? I am having trouble tracking them down.
    Thanks for the posts.
    The 1881 census has James, birth 1847, (by then a widower) living with his children in the household of his sister Elizabeth Hayward. James and his sister have their birth place as Redruth. In other census's both put Helston.
    Their address:5, Wengraig Road, Ystradyfodwg, Pontypridd, Glamorganshire, Wales.
    James's eldest son James H was born in Cornwall and is 10. I can't find James in 1871.
    I had found them in 1911.

genie12

On the Glamorgan baptisms on FMP I have found Baptisms for : 6th Nov 1874- James Henry and Eliza Ellen- Father James and Mother Elizabeth Jane.
    June 4th 1876 Mary Jane daughter of James and Elizabeth Jane and on 30 June 1878 -Arriete Ann (note spelling) daughter of James and Elizabeth Jane. Their address at each of the baptisms was Cwm Clydach.
    Ceremony performed by W Jones, diocesan, Home Missionary.
    I believe that although two of their children were born in Cornwall, James and Elizabeth Jane decided to have them Christened in Wales, for what ever reason.
    FMP has a marriage for a James Richards and Elizabeth Jane Odgers in the Redruth district- Sept qtr 1869. This could be the marriage that I have been looking for.
    Eliza Ellen born March qtr 1873 Redruth district and James Henry born March qtr 1871.

Quote Originally Posted by genie12 View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    I am descended from Mary who bapt 1851 who was a sister to James.
    Have you found Mary on the 1851 1861 or 1871 census ? I am having trouble pinning down James for these years. Without a birth certificate for one of his children it will be hard to prove who his wives were.
    James gives his birth on the census records as
    1881 b 1847 Redruth
    1891 b 1843 St Keverne
    1901 b 1843 Helston
    1911 b 1850 Helston

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast