Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by genie12 View Post
    James remarries I believe Elizabeth Ann Harris
    Here is a theory on James and his wives. Elizabeth Ann and Eliza Jane could have been sisters.
    Elizabeth Ann’s age seems to vary over the years but I ‘think' I have found Elizabeth Ann Harris !
    1851 Elizabeth A Harris 4, b St Columb Minor & Eliza Jane Harris 12, b St Agnes (sisters) living at St Stephen in Brannel.
    1861 Elizabeth Ann Harris 14, b St Columb & Eliza Jane Harris 21, b St Agnes living in Helston.
    1867 Elizabeth Jane Harris marries James Richards in Redruth dist.
    1881 Death of Elizabeth Jane Richards, aged 40, Pontypridd reg. dist.
    1881 Elizabeth Harris 34, b St Agnes living as a servant in Swansea, Glamorgan
    1881 Elizabeth Ann Harris marries James Richards in Redruth dist.

genie12

Quote Originally Posted by KathNZ View Post
    Have you found Mary on the 1851 1861 or 1871 census ? I am having trouble pinning down James for these years. Without a birth certificate for one of his children it will be hard to prove who his wives were.
    James gives his birth on the census records as
    1881 b 1847 Redruth
    1891 b 1843 St Keverne
    1901 b 1843 Helston
    1911 b 1850 Helston
    James's age was all over the place.
    This could be James Richards in 1861. Livng at Trevergy, Mawgan, Helston, Cornwall, England. He is a servant Unmarried age 15 , born 1846 . A farm Servant born St Keverne, Cornwall, England
    1861 Mary is living with her parents John and Eliza and siblings at Mawgan Cross, Mawgan in Meneage, Helston, Cornwall, England
    1871 Mary is living at Blowing House .Redruth with her parents John and Eliza and siblings but no James. Elizabeth his sister who eventually lived in Wales is also there.
    At the moment I can't find him in 1871

Here is a theory on James and his wives. Elizabeth Ann and Eliza Jane could have been sisters.
    Elizabeth Ann’s age seems to vary over the years but I ‘think' I have found Elizabeth Ann Harris !
    1851 Elizabeth A Harris 4, b St Columb Minor & Eliza Jane Harris 12, b St Agnes (sisters) living at St Stephen in Brannel.
    1861 Elizabeth Ann Harris 14, b St Columb & Eliza Jane Harris 21, b St Agnes living in Helston.
    1867 Elizabeth Jane Harris marries James Richards in Redruth dist.
    1881 Death of Elizabeth Jane Richards, aged 40, Pontypridd reg. dist.
    1881 Elizabeth Harris 34, b St Agnes living as a servant in Swansea, Glamorgan
    1881 Elizabeth Ann Harris marries James Richards in Redruth dist.
    I think you should scrap this theory of mine, the places of birth don't add up. I think the only way to be sure of the name of James wives is to get the birth cert of one of his children.
    I did find, on Family Search, the following banns:
    James Haywood
    Wales, Glamorganshire, Parish Registers, 1538-1912 other:
    11 October 1874
    Ystradyfodwg, St John, Glamorganshire, Wales spouse:
    Elizabeth Jane Richards
    I know this isn't proof of a marriage as I can't find the corresponding entry on Free BDM

genie12

Thanks once again.
    I found and downloaded a copy of those banns and in the margin it says 'to be married November 9th'. I haven't found a marriage on the marriage sites that I have searched on either. I have put various spellings for Hayward.
    In the 1871 census there is a James Richards married to an Amelia both living with a son in Illogan. They were married in 1867 in the Redruth district. So he is discounted.
    Another James may have married Elizabeth Janes Odgers in Sept qtr 1869. In the 1871 census there is a James who has a wife called Elizabeth and a daughter called Eliza age 1 month. .He says he is from Illogan and that is where they are living. I haven't found an Eliza that age in James's family tree.
    I was thinking about getting the Richards/Odgers marriage certificate in the hope of seeing who the witnesses were but I may get Eliza Ellen's birth certificate instead because at least I will know who her mother is !
    My father knew and liked Eliza Ellen or as he called her-Aunty Ellen. She died in 1949 and I found her obit on fmp.
    My father died many years ago before family history became popular.

I think the birth certificate would be best then you will know for certain who Eliza Ellen's mother was.

Good luck, and let us know the results please.

genie12

I shall let you know as soon as I receive the certificate.

genie12

I think the birth certificate would be best then you will know for certain who Eliza Ellen's mother was.

Good luck, and let us know the results please.
    The birth certificate arrived today and Eliza Ellen Richards mother was Elizabeth Champion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12