Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lauraathawes

Default Athawes Tileburner Boxley Kent

Hi All,

Wondered if you could help me out. My Athawes Family tree seems to be growing and most of my question marks are becoming answered and confirmed. I have 4 men all possibly brothers but I don't have any 100% evidence that they are, so it is mostly speculation at the moment.

William Athawes Born 1656 Boxley - Husbandman 1698
    Thomas Athawes Born 1664 Boxley - Tileburner 1699
    Samuel Athawes Born 1674 Boxley (my direct ancestor) - Yeoman 1698 and 1700
    Peter Athawes Died 1724 Boxley - Yeoman 1699 and possibly a Tileburner

I was wondering if anyone knew of any information about Tileburning in Boxley, Kent around this time and perhaps may know where to come across William, Thomas and Peter's Will's if they wrote one. I know that Samuel did as it was held by the national archives and I have a copy of it, sadly he didn't mention any siblings, just confirmed his children. Or perhaps know of where I might find a christening record for these men to be able to place a parent to them.

The Athawes Family were well establised in Boxley and the surrounding area and it being such an unsual surname it hasn't been to hard to trace up to now. I would like to take it back another generation or two if possible and be able to hit the 1500's would exceed my expectations!! :-)

Many thanks in advance for your help and advise.

Laura

Nicolina

there is a marriage dated 16th April 1689 for Thomas Athawes and Patience Fuller at Boxley. Is this one of yours?

lauraathawes

Yes, he is. I think that William Married Mary Ann Husen in 1681 Maidstone, Samuel married twice Elizabeth Baldock 1697 and then an Ann (I don't have a married year) and Peter married Mary Richard 1695

Nicolina

8th April 1690 Thomas & Patience baptised a daughter, Patience at Thurnham, Kent

also a possible match:
    27th April 1690 William Athawes jnr. married Mary SHORND at All Saints, Maidstone

lauraathawes

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolina View Post
    27th April 1690 William Athawes jnr. married Mary SHORND at All Saints, Maidstone
    Could this be the same William as mentioned before?? I have all of his children but if he married another women called Mary how would you know which ones belong to which?? Of course unless you have the first Mary's death!! (Which I don't!!)
    But if this is the same William as mentioned the 'Jnr' would suggest that his father was William

There is quiet a big gap between the first two children Eldest child Jane B: 1683 and then second child Mary B: 1690
    I did think that I was just missing a few due to mis-carriage or still-born

lauraathawes

Ok I've just found William Athawes Jnr. born abt. 1665 Maidstone, Kent marrying Mary Shornden in Maidstone 1690 and then another William Athawes (which is the William I am refering to above) Born abt. 1656 Boxley, Kent marrying Mary Husen 1681 in Maidstone.

Possible that they are two different Williams' considering the birth years.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Be cautious with the use of junior or senior. It did not mean father and son, merely that there was another man of the same name living at the same time, one older/younger than the other. And just to complicate matters, when one died, eg the elder, the younger could become the elder if there was a third one of the same name who would become the younger. This happened when you had an an uncle and a son or nephew all of the same name.pwholt

janbooth

Laura,

Ancestry have the PCC Will of a Samuel ATHAWES, Gentleman, of Boxley, Kent dated 9 July 1753 and proved at London 10 January 1758. I don't know if you have already seen it, but if not it may give you some information. I was hoping it would name siblings or other connections, but it only mentions his children, namely sons William, Samuel, Peter & Thomas, daughters Frances wife of Mr Joseph CHARLTON & Elizabeth ATHAWES, son in law Richard HOLLOWAY & eldest son Edward ATHAWES whom he makes sole Executor.

It might be worthwhile seeing if Kent Archives hold any Wills for your earlier ATHAWES as this may just give details of relationships. Ancestry also hold a Tyler Index of Wills which appears to relate to Kent Wills and there are many ATHAWES, and variants, names listed, unfortunately no dates or places.

The 2 earliest Apprenticeship Records I can find is one on 12 July 1720 when Thomas son of Samuel ATHAWES of Boxley was apprenticed to a Thos DUGDALE Attorney of Ct Kings Bench and the other on 12 September 1720 when Peter son of Samuel ATHAWES of Boxley, Kent, Yeoman was apprenticed to Spencer MANN Citizen & Clothworker.

Oh, just found another 2. One on 23 December 1714 when Mary daughter of Peter ATHAWS of Boxley Kent, Yeoman was apprenticed to Lawrence ALLISON of Maidstone, Kent, Carpenter, & Mary his wife & the other on 12 June 1714 when Edward son of Saml ATHAWES of Boxley, Kent, Yeoman was apprenticed to Wm DAWKINS of Stepney, Merchant.

None of which is what you were enquiring about, but may give you some background information on the ATHAWES family.

Janet

Wilkes_ml

I agree that it is worth looking in the canterbury wills, which are different to the PCC ones that are online. In addition to that Canterbury Catherdral Archives also have settlement documents that may be useful if the families moved around a lot between towns and villages, which was highly likely.

lauraathawes

Hi Janet,

Thank-you for the information but it is information I have already found during my research. It has definitely helped build a picture up of the family. But like you said no mention on any siblings or parents in Samuel's will. I think i have ask the Athawes Will's that are available on line that I have found and no-one seems to mention any one passed. Very frustrating!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast