Famous for offering help & advice

Default My first known convict ancestor sibling.

I have several ancestor siblings who emigrated to America and 1 who went to Canada but returned to the UK but last month I found my first ancestor sibling who was a convict. Sent to Australia in 1837 after a brawl in a pub. He died there in 1891. Edward Childs, born c1817 in Felsted, Essex. Brother of my 4xgreat grandmother Sarah Childs later Livermore. Yet another sibling of a direct rellie who went abroad. All I have to do is now find the missing Taylor siblings and almost all my ancestor siblings accounted for.

Hello
    Welcome to the club.

It just goes to show that we should never give up as new information is becoming available all the time on the internet.

It isn't that many years back when we would not admit to a convict ancestor. Now we wear it as a badge of honour. Well I would if I had one but I live vicariously through my OH's ancestry.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Brick wall demolition expert!

One good thing about having a convict in the family tree is the wealth of records about - very good physical description - were they literate - where they were tried - were they kept on a prison hulk and if so for how long etc etc.

Ancestry has some of the best records - but they are not the only site.

Hi Megan,

Are you able to share what the sites are.

Kerrie

Brick wall demolition expert!

“google” search “Australian Convicts” – there are literally hundreds of sites; e.g.

https://www.australia.gov.au/about-au...tish-colonies/
    This Govt. page has suggestions for other sites
    https://www.australianhistory.org/convicts
    https://www.convictrecords.com.au/
    genealogylinks.net/australia/all-australia/convicts.htm

I would start a thread on here about the Taylor siblings from Wimbish/Saffron Walden but I did start a thread on another website asking if a fresh pair of eyes may help and nothing yet.

I was very pleased when I found a convict brother of a direct ancestor. Siblings of direct rellies are the next best thing to direct ancestors. I did find Edward Childs had died in 1891 in George Street Asylum in Parramatta, it said he had a daughter and was a widower but as yet I cannot find a record of their names. The asylum said he had 1 daughter, nothing more about her.

Add a second ancestor sibling into the pot who was sent Down Under. Thomas Tanner born 1802 in Toot Baldon, Oxon. Brother of my 4xgreat granny. Sent there in 1827.