nightingale

Smile Hearne family all parts of Herts.

Hi
    I'm researching my Hearn family (all spellings) I know that many came from Hertfordshire, place like Wigginton, Bushey,Tring etc.

Some of the first names are as follows Solomon (my Ggrandfather) b. 1840's
    Royal 1830's - Abendego 1826 Bushey Herts - Shadrach Hearne - Peter Hearne, Mark

They mostly travelled sometime in the very early 1800's towards London.

Would appreciate any help to tie all these as one extended family, but mostly want to know about my known Great Grandfather Solomon Hearne apart from the birth of his first son my Grandfather Job in 1869 in London I can't seem to get to his marriage for his fathers name, I know he was married to Eliza Franklin.

Thanks

julie t

Default HEARNE

Hi i am also doing the Hearne family .as far as i know my great great grandfather was soloman Hearne his wife was Mercy . the bits i know was found by another family member in Aus so dont no if this is right /
    My grandfather was john Hearne ,so was his father my grandfather was borne
    in Watford in bushy so we my be related

julie t

janbooth

Default Solomon HEARNE

Hello,

Don't know if you have your grandfather Job's baptismal details but in case not (courtesy Ancestry's London Parish Register records):

29 May 1870 at Christchurch, Battersea, Wandsworth Job HERNE son of Solomon & Eliza, Stewarts Lane, Hawker

Do you have any census records for Solomon? I have found him on the 1891 in Wandsworth, aged 52, Tinker Tin, birthplace not known with wife Eliza and children Job, Polly, Leander, Mark and Daniel born variously in Sussex (Job & Polly), daughter Leander in Surrey and no birthplace for the other two.

Can't find them with any success in the 1871/81 census records but as he is shown as a Tinker or Hawker perhaps they were travelling and missed off the census records.

There is a Mark HEARN in the 1881 census of Fulham with a daughter Leander (not a common name) and he was born c1851 in Watford, Herts - so perhaps he is connected to your HEARN family.

Janet

julie t

Angry HEARNE

Hi thanks i dont have any birth cert for solomon this was what my family member found .
    but mine says that solomons wifes name was mercy ,so still getting lost

julie t

Default hearne

i am begining to wonder if there is more than one solomon hearne but its not a name you here a lot ..or if he was married more than once .i do no that my grangfather john norris hearne borne in bushy watford i need HELP

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by julie t View Post
    i am begining to wonder if there is more than one solomon hearne but its not a name you here a lot ..or if he was married more than once .i do no that my grangfather john norris hearne borne in bushy watford i need HELP
    Do you have John's birth certificate? If not, then that is your first step as it will name his parents, including confirming his mother's name and her maiden name.

John Norris HEARNE, Watford district, June quarter 1892, volume 3a, page 5-9.

I have had a look at the original and the page reference really does look like 5-9, but you can order the certificate without that reference.

janbooth

Default HEARNE family

Julie,

Sorry my previous reply was intended to be to Nightingale not to yourself. Could this be your grandfather in the 1901 census of Bushey, but he is enumerated as John M HEARNE and his father as Morris HEARNE:

RG13/1315, folio 20, pages 31/2
    4 Caroline Cottages

Morris HEARNE Head M 32 Labourer (Coal Yard) Herts Bushey
    Elizabeth do Wife M 36 Beds
    John M do Son 9 Herts Bushey
    Nellie F do Daur 7 do do
    Jessie E do Daur 4 do do
    Edmond R do Son 1 do do
    George do Son 1 mo do do

In the 1891 census, Morris HEARNE looks as if he is enumerated as John HERNE and is lodging in Watford:

RG12/1119, folio 50, page 20
    3 New Street

Henry HERNE Lodger S 19 Labourer Herts Bootley
    John do Lodger S 22 do do do

Lodging in the household of a William DAY who is a Licensed Lodging House Keeper.

In the 1881 census of Bushey, he is enumerated as Norris HEARNE:

RG11/1435, folio 5, page 3
    Frisk? St (almost illegible)

John HEARNE Head Mar 56 Dealer Bucks Bovington
    Mary A do Wife Mar 59 Herts Bushey
    Norris do Son 12 do do

And here are the family in the 1871 census of Bushey:
    RG10/1380, folio 111, page 3

John HEARN Head Mar 48 Dealer Herts Bushey
    Mary A do Wife Mar 48 do do
    George COLE Son Unm 15 do do
    Edmund Beam HEARN Son 13 do do
    Royall do Son 11 do do
    John do Son 8 do do
    Norris do Son 2 do do

In the 1861 census of Bushey, John is described as a Dealer of Horses, born Bovingdon Herts, living at High Street with wife Mary A and children Annie aged 10, Henry W, aged 8, George aged 6, Edmund B aged 3 and Royal aged 1, all born Bushey.

Now we get to Solomon & Mercy - I was beginning to think they had got lost or I had the wrong family:

1851 census of Penn, Buckinghamshire
    HO107/1717, folio 619, page 17
    Jesse Berry Hill, Dwellers in Tents

Solomon HEARNE Head Mar 58? Chair Matter Herts Hawbery
    Mercy do Wife Mar 55 do Serrat
    Dorcas do Daur Un 26 Middx Ruislip
    John do Son Un 24 Basket Maker Herts Bovingdon
    Edmund do Son Un 24 do do do
    Catherine do Daur Un 20 Bucks Chesham
    Rhyle do Son Un 16 Tin worker do do

John & Edmund have a note stating they are twins.

1841 census of Cashio, Watford
    HO107/439/5, folios 24/5, pages 2/3
    Green

Solomon HEARN 40 ? Dealer Born in county yes
    John do 15 yes) twins
    Edmund do 15 yes)
    Royial do 7 yes
    Mary do 45 Hawker yes
    Dorcas do 16 yes
    Kitty do 10 yes

Solomon & Mercy HERNE are in the 1861 census of St Paul, Hammersmith shown as living in a Tent, he described as a Horse Dealer born Aubrey, Herts c1797, with wife Mercy born c1792 at Sarratt and granddaughter Lucy, aged 14, born Hammersmith.

If you go the Herts Direct Online Name search (/www.hertsdirect.org/libsleisure/heritage1/HALS/) and search under HEARNE & variants you will find lots of results at Watford, Bushey and other nearby places which could be relevant to you. However, you do need to start off with the birth certificate of your grandfather as Jan has suggested to make sure that we are following your correct line.

Janet

olive_oyl

Hi there, im Natalie Hall (just joined today) & ive just come across your posting: Hearne family all parts of Herts.

My great-grandmother was Emma Hearn & she married my great-grandfather Henry Hall in 1909 Hemel Hempstead.
    Her parents were Joseph & Melinda Hearn & they lived in Tring, she also had a brother Ted.
    I dont know if there is any signifcance but i thought id share this with you.

Kind regards!