bonti

Default Births ARNOTT and ANDREWS

Please can someone help ... I'm looking for Thomas ARNOTT born abt 1881 and Maggie Brown ANDREWS born abt 1888. The only info I have is born Scotland ... family hand down says Lanarkshire.
    Any help muchly appreciated

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

You need Scotlands People.
    https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/
    You need to register, but can search for free before paying to view any records.

However you can search the Scottish census indexes on Ancestry and FMP.
    There's a Thomas, son of Thomas and Julia born 1881 in Coatbridge, and a Maggie Andrews, daughter of Alexr and Christina, born 1886 in Hamilton. They may or may not be yours.
    The census images can be viewed only on Scotlands People.

Pam

There's a collection of how-to messages on the General Scottish forum, especially Scotlands People HERE. It is a pay to use site, but not as expensive as others....
    Neither name is rare - is this a married couple? If so, where did they marry?

bonti

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    You need Scotlands People.
    The census images can be viewed only on Scotlands People.
    Pam
    Scotland people is very different to when I last used it. Lost a few points but learned a lot. I did find Maggie's birth.
    Since I wrote I've found out that Thomas was born Oct 1881 and had a brother Robert (no age).
    Thomas ARNOTT search on the 1891 census gave up two possibilities - The first page I don't find any ARNOTTs on it and the second doesn't have a Robert brother. Your help is greatly appreciated

bonti

Neither name is rare - Very much as common as JONES in Wales )
    Is this a married couple? Yes they are
    If so, where did they marry? Cape Town South Africa.
    Your help/response is greatly appreciated

Are you checking spelling variations? Spelling was a fuzzy concept before WW1. I would certainly look for Arnot, at least.

Hello
    Do you have their marriage details/certificate?

There is a birth for a Thomas Arnot 1881 at Salton, East Lothian with parents Adam Arnot and Barbara Sousness Arnot which illustrates the difficulty of finding the right parents especially as the birth district of Lanarkshire is a family 'tale.'

The above family is on the 1891 census at Salton, Haddingtonshire and has both a Thomas Arnot age 10 and a Robert age 12 plus other children

Hmmm this Thomas may have joined the military. Do you know why your Thomas was in South Africa?
    Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (Princess Louise's)
    Attestation service number 5576 and attested in 25 Nov 1895 at 14 years and 4 months of age. Birth place Haddington.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

bonti

Thomas on his death notice was a retired engineer. In the early 1900's I think he would probably have gone to work on the gold mines in the Transvaal - they (the mines) where all still fairly new.
    Findmypast found Thomas ARNOTT in the 1181,1891 & 1901 census. Born 1881 Coatsbridge to Thomas and Julia O. Thomas senior on the 3 census was a Collier Manager, General Manager and a Coal mine manager. Young Thomas on the 1901 census is a mechanical engineer.
    10 children by 1901 with a Robert amongst them.
    I think that I've found the family!
    Your help has all been greatly appreciated