Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Allan F Sparrow

Ceri, you say in post 6 that you probably need to get a marriage certificate for Evan and Sarah, and in theory you are right, but in fact it is not likely to tell much more than can be found by the route Janet took. It would appear that the Evan who married Sarah Jones at Merthyr in August 1841 had parents Richard and Margret, and that Sarah's father was Lewis Jones. Also, I still cannot pin down the official registration of that marriage: the only one I can see to fit the parish register would be 1841 third quarter at Merthyr Tydfil - vol 26 page 494, but there is no Sarah Jones listed as possible spouse for Evan Williams! There were Sarah Joneses married at MT in vol 26 pages 481, 491 and 507, but none seems to mention Evan Williams! I think this is one of the (unfortunately not uncommon) errors in the indices.
    If you decide to try the GRO for a certificate, it will be best to claim you do not know the registration details, and use the next page to say what you do know, e.g. date of marriage and parents' names.

What has been found so far still leaves the discrepancy between a birth at Caio and a baptism in Aberystwyth: if it was indeed Conwil Caio, they are miles apart. Of course, we have always the problem that people did move about, and many people gave as their birth-place the place which they first remembered, which need not have been their real birth-place at all.

Allan

cerirp

Update on my search
    Evan's parents were Richard and Rachel Williams. After numerous frustrating searches and you have all been there !! I discovered (with a little help from Jan) that the whole family including Evan's siblings Magrat and John were all born in Conwil Caio (also spelt Cayo) John was born there around 1833 so my guess is the family moved to Merthyr(for work) between 1833 and 1841 as Richard is on Evan's marriage certificate that year. Now I have to try to find them in Carmarthenshire on the census of 1830 !!!!!

Allan F Sparrow

So some of what had been found turned out to be a red herring, as I rather suspected it would.

Good luck for further progress.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12