Default Lost cause, methinks

For years, I've been trying identify the "Sir C.H." who published in the Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London in 1702. A new book speculates that he was Christopher Holt.

Can anyone suggest where to search? I know nothing about sources for the Stuart period in England, and Google turns up dozens of men with that name.... He's not on the RS's list of Fellows.

Am considering lighting a candle to St Jude!

Brick wall demolition expert!

There is a web site for the Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London : https://rstb.royalsocietypublishing.org/

Whether they would be able to help I have no idea.

There is also a site called "British History on line" which has occasionally helped me :https://www.british-history.ac.uk/

Yes, the Roy Soc page where I found him when searching for a biography I was co-authoring.
    It's one of those sites where one can get easily distracted and lose hours!

I'll try the other site.

Thanks.

Nicolina

https://archive.org/details/texts has copies of Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Unfortunately most are not dated, but might be worth a look

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Would The British Library be of help?
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

thewideeyedowl

Default Google Books

The only reference I can find is here but that may be where your information came from in the first place, and it only says "probably Christopher Holt"
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Thank you one and all, but I have the papers from the Phil Trans, they are on the site that Megan mentioned (as well as the others you've mentioned. That's how I know about his existence. The book that Sue suggested is the only indicator of a name that I've ever seen, and was what set me wondering about sources since even the Royal Society say that because he wasn't one of their Fellows, they don't know.

The only other clue is that he talks about the runoff from his manure heaps, so he must have been a farmer or (possibly) landowner who didn't mind annoying his tenant farmer by sampling their dung heaps!
    Not much to go on.... Fortunately it's now idle interest - the biography's published.