Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    sulee

I am going in circles trying to find the army 1891 records.i've checked sites tat say they have them but all I find are BMD's but no census. Pease can you tell me where to look. If it is on A.. where do I look?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Which subscription site are you looking at?

sulee

I tried "A" at the library, but I couldn't find anywhere to search for army overseas. Could you please advise?

Sulee

I spent a few minutes trying to find a suitable 'match ' iin the army records and couldn't. However that's not to say he has a mistranscribed birth date

On the site select Military

British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920 this is free to search but gives minimal info

British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920

However I think he may have been too old to serve WW1 being 40+ at the outset of the war. He could however have been in the Regular Army joining at say 18 ( 1890 - 1902) You know he was in civvy street in 1902! The records that have survived are on the FMP or the parent of this site FWR ( Forces War Records)

See this link

https://www.british-genealogy.com/thr...h-Army-records

John seems to have been a labourer / dustman there are 2 trees on the site you use, both have the same info missing 1881-1902, this suggests a mistranscription, over 3 census returns not likely, army or other force, overseas, criminal etc a wider search and playing with the spelling of the surname may be needed!

I can see Mary & the children but no John senior, presume he is working away or in the workhouse....I need to do the paid job now but will catch up later

sulee

Thank you. He was indeed in for the duration of WW1 [2/10th middlesex] His Ggrndaughter has this info but not his enlistment which would show his previous. I am curious to know why Gortonboy was so certain he was in India in 1891 and Africa in 1901!

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

His service record is on findmypast

sulee

Thank you Gortonboy. But I am stumped! I looked on there but all I could find waa either WW1 or WW2.
    Could you please advise me on which catagory to search. Yes. I know I.m not that smart.......

I have found the record mentioned and will admit I had dismissed it!

joined Kings Royal Rifle Corp
    attested 20 Sept 1888 aged 18years
    b Battersea
    trade Printer
    father John of Drury Lane London,

sulee

Wow That's awesome. How is it that I can't find anything?! How and where can I get a copy of this record?

You will be able to order & view at a local family search centre ( may cost )

https://familysearch.org/locations/

John Wallington
    United Kingdom, Chelsea Pensioners' Service Records Google this if you have difficulty with the site
    Name: John Wallington
    Event Type: Pension
    Event Year Range: 1760-1913
    Event Place: United Kingdom
    Birthplace: Surrey
    Birth Year (Estimated): 1870

Alternative is

FMP and purchase credits / a months subscription select the paygo / subscribe top right of home page.

Not wanting to burst your bubble, this guy says he was a printer on the census records yours is a labourer / dustman!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast