Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Updated / New Death Indexes

Another researcher let me know that Ancestry have extended the GRO death index to 2013. So I went to have a look.

It took me a while to find it, but they appear to have launched a separate death index 2007-2013, and this shows the exact date of death, and if it’s been given by informants, the exact date of birth.

It does not pop up in the card catalogue, but if you search for a death between 2007-2013, then you get results.

Whilst looking for it I also found the following new release which might of interest: “Scotland and Northern Ireland, Death Index 1989-2013”.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Apology

I have inadvertently misled you all. Ancestry describe the England and Wales Deaths 2007-2013 as follows:

"This collection is a compiled index that covers approximately 55% of the total deaths that occured in this time period.

This index provides death details for people in England and Wales, specifically their name, gender, date of birth or age at death, date of death, and residence place at death. However, they do not include the General Register Office (GRO) reference information."

The information apparently originates from: GreyPower Deceased Data. compiled by Wilmington Millennium, West Yorkshire.

Similarly with the Scottish and Northern Irish death records "This collection is a compiled index that covers approximately 45% of the total deaths that occured in this time period.

This index provides death details for people in Scotland and Northern Ireland, specifically their name, gender, date of birth or age at death, date of death, and residence place at death. However, they do not include the General Register Office (GRO) reference information. The index also contains a small number of records for people in Jersey and Isle of Man."

Again the information originates from the same source.

Whilst I am frustrated by being misled and in turn misleading you all, and I am more so with myself for not reading the small print first, which to give Ancestry some credit they do at least provide.

BUT how can they lump in Jersey and Isle of Man records with Scotland and Northern Ireland?

Wilkes_ml

Thanks. sometimes we don't realise the smallprint is there, as often it is not obvious. I had the same problem with Find My Past Kent parish registers....4 parishes were supposedly not covered as the originating parish had not given permission for them to be made public online (though microfilms do exist at Canterbury Cathedral Archives, and have also been copied by the Latter Day Saints) however one parish that shouldn't be there does actually have one register available on Find My Past! So I was very confused to start with.

George Gamble

Megan, May I say a huge THANKS to you for sharing this invaluable source. You have made my day. I am most grateful for your kindness here. Well done. Thanks again, George

When the original source was queried on the Ancestry Facebook page they were..................... evasive to say the least. The would not define exactly the name of the source of the information and waffled when pressed. In other words the poor person designated to farcebork for the day didn't have any idea what the people were talking about and couldn't get any answers from those around them, and for this they take our money. Am I being Harsh? probably but also fair I think
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time