freddie999

Default 1911 national rail workers strike

I am currently reading a historical novel based in Lincoln, part of the story includes a railworkers strike around 1911, there were flying pickets, a riot, looting; and the army were called in to clear the streets. I've done a Google search to find out about this. I found my grand father & great- grand father in the 1911 census together in a police station cells, I was wonder if they could have got caught up with the riots. Can anyone point me to where I can find out about the railworkers strike in Lincoln?

Thanks

Reputation beyond repute

Try Wikipedia "National Railway Strike of 1911".

The strike would have been after the census.

Also have a look at the National Archives research guide on Labour History Records.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Local newspapers.

The British Newspaper Archive (which is also available through Findmypast if you have a full UK/world sub) has quite a lot of Lincolnshire-based newspapers for 1900-1949.

I've searched on the BNA for railway+strike+Lincoln, and one result (amidst quite a lot of adverts for clocks which strike the hours ) for the Lincolnshire Chronicle of Saturday 26 August 1911 says 'FALLEN WALL. DISASTROUS CONFLAGRATION. The usual quietness of the city of Lincoln lias recently been diaturbed by rioting in the streets during the period the great...'.

If you're stuck for ideas of where to go on holiday this year Lincoln Central Library have loads of newspapers on film.
    https://newsplan.liem.org.uk/index.asp
    From the dropdown list for the library name, select Lincoln, Central Library.
    The full name of the Lincolnshire Chronicle in 1911 was the Lincolnshire Chronicle and General Advertiser.

If you fancy holidaying nearer to home, then you can view the newspapers at the British Library though you might have to order them in.
    If you want to take this option, post a message to Sue Mackay in the 'Person to person' section of the forum (near the bottom of the page, under 'Other stuff') and she should be able to give you a few hints about accessing the newspapers at the British Library.

Pam

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Not knowing anything about the dates of the rail strike, but reckoning from the newspaper results that it was taking place in August and the 1911 census was taken the night of 2 April, I did think it was perhaps unlikely that your relatives were in the police cells because of the strike.

They may well have a mention in the local paper because of their misdemeanours though.

Pam