Thread: Dinning lookup

bjbat

Question Dinning lookup

Wondering if anyone can do a lookup on the following? Needing details to determine which Wm is the right one for my family. Thankyou so much.

1851 Census Index. Hexham. Dinning family.
    Margery 51, Wm 29, Mgt 27, Margery 22, Jane 20, Jhn 17, Thom 15, Mary 13, Edw G 10, Hannah 1.
    (ref HO107/2414/folio 567).

1851 Census Index. Hexham. Dinning family.
    Jhn 56, Eliz 55, Wm 28, Eliz 26, Geo 23, Mgt 18, Ann 2.
    (ref HO107/2414/folio 582).

jeeb

Smile Which William?

Hi,
    I am assuming that one of the two Williams is your direct line. I do not have access to Hexham 1851 census so I thought I would check the baptisms as Margery does not have a husband with her, I thought they would have different names, nothing that simple, both Williams have a father called John.
    I looked for the families on the 1861 census and I think I can solve your problem. Margery is now with her husband John (Farmer) and several of the children mentioned but no William. There is however an unmarried daughter Elizabeth with them aged 34. Hannah aged 1 on the 1851 index is a grand daughter aged 11 as is John a grandson aged 6 on 1861 census.
    So to the second family, Elizabeth is now a widow aged 66 and living with son William aged 38 and unmarried, there is also a 10 year old grand daughter with them named Ann. William's job is an iron ore smelter.
    The 1861 census gives the following:-
    Hexham RG9/3860 Folio 56 Page 9
    William Dinning Head Mar. 39 Ag. Lab. Born Hexham
    Elizabeth Dinning Wife 23 Born Allendale
    John Dinning Son 1 Born Allendale

The outcome of all this and to answer your question is that it will be 99% certain that William son of Margery is the correct one.

If you want extra information William was baptised at Whitley by Hexham 18 Nov. 1821 son of John & Margory Dinning

Margery's maiden name was Johnson.

Cheers Jeremy.
    Last edited by jeeb; 11-09-2005 at 7:45 PM.

jeeb

Default Making it nearer 100%

Hi again,
    I have checked both the 1871 & 1881 censuses and William the son of John & Elizabeth, (1851 census) on both censuses now has a wife Ann, 3 years his junior, but they don't ever have any children with them.

1881 census William Son of Margery (1851 census) now aged 59 is a Grocer, with him are Elizabeth 43, wife. John 21, William 15, Jane A 13, Thomas 11, Margery 8, Elizabeth 6, Margaret 3, George 1.

Hope all this helps, Jeremy.
    Last edited by jeeb; 11-09-2005 at 7:46 PM.

bjbat

Smile Dinning/Thorpe children?

Thanks, Jeremy. Great help!! Also wondering about the children of Thomas Dinning and Mary Ann Thorpe. Thomas is son of William & Elizabeth from the previous inquiry. My grandmother was Norah Agnes Dinning (born 1900), daughter of Thomas (born about 1870). My father remembers Norah having a brother George, a brother Jim, and at least 3 sisters, one of which was Louisa. Thats all he remembers. Can you help?

jeeb

Smile !901 census

Hi Joan,
    Thomas & Elizabeth have moved to Durham by 1901.

Medomsley, Consett, Durham.
    RG13/4667 Folio 14 Page19
    Thomas Dinning Head 31 Coal Miner Born Hexham Northumberland
    Mary Ann Wife 25 Born Shotley Bridge Durham
    Thomas Son 6 Born Shotley Bridge Durham
    Valentine Son 5
    Elizabeth Dau. 3
    Norah Dau 3mths

The birth place for the three younger children is very hard to read but looks like Millwell Burn, Durham

Cheers Jeremy.

Williamalan

Default Response to post

Quote Originally Posted by jeeb View Post
    Hi,
    I am assuming that one of the two Williams is your direct line. I do not have access to Hexham 1851 census so I thought I would check the baptisms as Margery does not have a husband with her, I thought they would have different names, nothing that simple, both Williams have a father called John.
    I looked for the families on the 1861 census and I think I can solve your problem. Margery is now with her husband John (Farmer) and several of the children mentioned but no William. There is however an unmarried daughter Elizabeth with them aged 34. Hannah aged 1 on the 1851 index is a grand daughter aged 11 as is John a grandson aged 6 on 1861 census.
    So to the second family, Elizabeth is now a widow aged 66 and living with son William aged 38 and unmarried, there is also a 10 year old grand daughter with them named Ann. William's job is an iron ore smelter.
    The 1861 census gives the following:-
    Hexham RG9/3860 Folio 56 Page 9
    William Dinning Head Mar. 39 Ag. Lab. Born Hexham
    Elizabeth Dinning Wife 23 Born Allendale
    John Dinning Son 1 Born Allendale

The outcome of all this and to answer your question is that it will be 99% certain that William son of Margery is the correct one.

If you want extra information William was baptised at Whitley by Hexham 18 Nov. 1821 son of John & Margory Dinning

Margery's maiden name was Johnson.

Cheers Jeremy.
    Hi, I'm probably ten years too late looking at the date of this post
    My name is William Alan Dinning
    My grandfather was Valentine dinning referred to in the post above

Williamalan

Quote Originally Posted by Williamalan View Post
    Hi, I'm probably ten years too late looking at the date of this post
    My name is William Alan Dinning
    My grandfather was Valentine dinning referred to in the post above
    Ps. Valentine's sister was called Louisa