Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Cathy,

Apart from the fact that there are seven or eight pages to William's service record (impossible to cut and paste as they are actual images), if gortonboy did send them to you he would be in breach of the T&Cs relating to Ancestry's subscription.
    You can take out a free 14-day trial subscription to Ancestry. Make sure you subscribe to dotcom, not dotco.uk, and that you cancel the automatic renewal before day 14.

William's record can be found in 'British Army WW1 service records 1914-1920'.

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by CCarbone View Post
    Pam, I have a birth date for my grandmother Mery Ellen. She was born Aug. 28, 1899, was baptized on Sept. 1, 1899. She was baptized in Westland Row, Dublin, Ireland. I do know that her mother Ellen died when my grandmother was 13 so that would bring the year to 1914ish. Does this go with what you found? Let me know thanks Cathy
    I can't remember the baptism date I found, but you can easily check it using the website I gave you.

I hadn't previously looked for a death for Ellen, but have just done a quick search.
    You say Ellen died when Mary Ellen was 13. I checked the Civil Registration Indexes for deaths in Dublin South registration district, and there's one in 1912, and one in 1913. Either would fit, depending on whether Ellen died before or after her daughter's birthday that year.

But that search assumes that Ellen died in Dublin, and not elsewhere.

So if I were you I would be sending for at least one of those certificates to see if I could pin it to 'my' Ellen. Might have to send for the second one if the first record was wrong. (e.g. if the first certificate said 'wife of John O'Brien, shoemaker' then it's definitely the wrong one.)

You've been given various information in this thread, along with various sources/links.

The best advice I can give you now is for you to check the information, and then decide what other documents you need to confirm that information. (The usual recommendation is that you buy BMD certificates/obtain original parish register entries for your direct ancestors because a lot of the online information is only a transcript, and they're subject to error.)

If you do a bit of logical thinking you should be able to find the baptism of William O’Brien and two or three siblings.

In addition to the two (free) websites I’ve given in post #11, the Irish 1901 and 1911 census can be found at https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ (also for free)

Census search results are shown as transcriptions. Scroll down about half an inch and you’ll see a link to ‘view census images - household return form 2'.

Have fun.

Pam

CCarbone

Hi Pam, thanks for that info. I wouldn't want to do anything wrong. I've seen that record of William but that's the wrong William as he didn't serve in WW1 he was in the Boar War. I'm part of Ancestry.uk.com and I am unable to find anything on him. I will try what you suggested. Thanks so much for your help. Cathy

Cathy, I know William served (and died) in the Boer War, but trust me, that is him in the WW1 records.
    regimental number 3302, regiment the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.
    You've obviously forgotten what gortonboy wrote in message #7
    he married Ellen Volkes 18th September 1898,
    and it says that on page 4 of the record.

Hopefully this link to the WW1 Service Records will work if you copy-and-paste. Just put in his name and number, and he should be the first result in the list.
    search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1219

Pam

Valued member of Brit-Gen

In addition to the Boer War he also served in India where he was awarded the 1895 India General Service Medal with the following clasps: 'Punjab Frontier 1897-98' and 'Tirah 1987-98'.

Martin

CCarbone

Wow thank you so much for everyone's help. I really appreciate. Take care. Cathy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123