Thread: "By Decree"

Reputation beyond repute

Default "By Decree"

In the National Probate Calendar probate was granted in 1954 in respect of the splendidly named King Alfred Watts.

At the end of the entry it says "By decree dated 22 February 1954". Does anyone understand the significance of "by decree"?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Is this a trick question, Peter?

I'm not sure if you're asking because you don't know the answer (in which case, excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor )
    Or if you're asking because you think it's something we might not have come across before so are drawing our attention to it.

It means the will was disputed (so there might be something about it in the newspapers, depending how much of a 'scandal' might be involved).

TNA guide for wills and admins pre-1858
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...before1858.htm
    TNA guide for wills and admins after1858
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...lafter1858.htm

Pam

~gazes open-mouthed at Peter~
    ~gazes open mouthed at Pam~

I have learned something new again today, and I didn't even know I didn't know ... if you see what I mean. My thanks to both of you . Goodness me I love this forum!

~thinks~
    of course, now I want to know what the dispute was about
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post
    ~gazes open-mouthed at Peter~
    ~gazes open mouthed at Pam~

I have learned something new again today, and I didn't even know I didn't know ... if you see what I mean. My thanks to both of you . Goodness me I love this forum!

~thinks~
    of course, now I want to know what the dispute was about
    Don't we all. Especially as probate was granted to xxx 'married woman'. (Name withheld, just in case she's still alive, though I doubt it as King was 69 when he died. Though he could have been a sugar daddy.)

Pam

Reputation beyond repute

I didn't know the answer. You're saying that the "decree" was a court decision on some sort of dispute. Sounds reasonable. Unfortunately I won't be digging deeper because I had thought that this was a distant twig on the tree but now it seems it isn't. My twig appears to be another man with the same name in Surrey at around the same time.

Can you imagine it? Two men called King Alfred Watts!

Peter, my answer about the will being disputed was based on what I read in the TNA guides.

I haven't seen two King Alfreds, but I did notice that there was an Arthur King Watts birth registration in 1881.

Though after all these years in the family history game you really shouldn't be surprised to find two people with the same name. I stopped being gobsmacked when I found three people with the first name Squire and the same surname.

Pam