mr62buick

Default My name is Steve Stabler from Portland Oregon

I know I am from England, but don't know much about my history. I know that my GGG grandparents came to the USA in the 1800's, but thats about it. I had 2 grandparents that I cant start the history. One was Edwin R. Stabler born Nov 19, 1918 and my Grandmother Phyllis Mobley Born November 17, 1917. They both passed in the late 80's. Any help?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Steve,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Do you know if Phyllis and Edwin were born in the US? And if so, have you any idea of which state?
    You can't post details of potentially living people on the forum, but do you know either when Phyllis and Edwin married, or the year of birth of their first child?

I think I'm now going to answer most of my questions myself.
    As Edwin served in the US army during WW2, I would assume that he was born in the US, or at least emigrated there when he was quite young.
    He and Phyllis married in or before 1940 when one of their children (your father?) was born. A lot of events (BMDs) seem to be in Oregon, though the 1940 birth was in California.

The 1940 US census says that Edwin was born in North Dakota, and Phyllis in Washington - which I assume means the state, and not D.C.

1920 US census has Edwin (aged 2) living with his parents Fred (27) and Anna (24) and elder brother William (3), all born North Dakota, living in North Dakota.

No immediate luck finding Edwin in the 1930 census.

Phyllis I can't see on the 1920 census, but in 1930 aged 13, she's living in Camas, Clark, Washington with her parents John W (37), mother Bernice L (36), and and an elder and younger sibling. All born Washington.

All of this information is on Familysearch.
    The actual census images (which I can't easily access at the moment) will give you extra information.

You should also be able to trace at least the fathers of Edwin and Phyllis back in earlier census.

With the knowledge of where people were born, have a look at the records available for each state on Familysearch.
    I don't know how complete various state records are on Familysearch (it could be that the reason I can't find people in the 1920/1930 census is because those entries haven't yet been transcribed.)

With a bit of luck someone who has more knowledge of searching US records might be able to give you a bit more help.

Pam

Seems as if Bernice L Mobley's maiden name was Oller.
    In 1940, divorced, she's living in Alameda CA with her sister Coral Oller.

Phyllis' elder sibling in the 1930 census, Nadine W, died as Nadine W Rogers in 1982 in CA.

Pam

mr62buick

Default yes..my dad

My dad ron stabler was born in 1940. My grandfather came out of North Dakota as other family members did too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Hello Steve,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Do you know if Phyllis and Edwin were born in the US? And if so, have you any idea of which state?
    You can't post details of potentially living people on the forum, but do you know either when Phyllis and Edwin married, or the year of birth of their first child?

I think I'm now going to answer most of my questions myself.
    As Edwin served in the US army during WW2, I would assume that he was born in the US, or at least emigrated there when he was quite young.
    He and Phyllis married in or before 1940 when one of their children (your father?) was born. A lot of events (BMDs) seem to be in Oregon, though the 1940 birth was in California.

The 1940 US census says that Edwin was born in North Dakota, and Phyllis in Washington - which I assume means the state, and not D.C.

1920 US census has Edwin (aged 2) living with his parents Fred (27) and Anna (24) and elder brother William (3), all born North Dakota, living in North Dakota.

No immediate luck finding Edwin in the 1930 census.

Phyllis I can't see on the 1920 census, but in 1930 aged 13, she's living in Camas, Clark, Washington with her parents John W (37), mother Bernice L (36), and and an elder and younger sibling. All born Washington.

All of this information is on Familysearch.
    The actual census images (which I can't easily access at the moment) will give you extra information.

You should also be able to trace at least the fathers of Edwin and Phyllis back in earlier census.

With the knowledge of where people were born, have a look at the records available for each state on Familysearch.
    I don't know how complete various state records are on Familysearch (it could be that the reason I can't find people in the 1920/1930 census is because those entries haven't yet been transcribed.)

With a bit of luck someone who has more knowledge of searching US records might be able to give you a bit more help.

Pam

Just so you know - Phyllis' gravestone gives her date of birth as 17 Nov 1916, not 1917, and she also has the middle initial J.
    Died 6 June 1984, and is buried in Oakmont Memorial Park, CA, same place as Edwin R Stabler.
    So I'm presuming that it's 'your' Phyllis.
    (Wouldn't be the first time a memorial stone has been wrong.)

Pam

Steve,

Because 'we' (me ) seem to have gone straight into 'search' mode, I'll move this thread to the US Genealogy section, in the 'Across the Pond(s)' forum, because the 'Introduce yourself' section is meant just for that.

Would you like me to also alter the thread title from 'My name is Steve, etc', perhaps to 'Searching for Stabler and Mobley grandparents'? (You've got about 45 characters, inclusive of spaces, for your title.)

Pam

1900 census

Burniece (sic) Oller is living in Ilwaco, Pacific County, Washington with her parents Morris E (aged 47) and Agnes (37) and seven siblings.

Morris and his parents all born in Ohio.

Agnes born Washington, and her father in Germany, mother in Missouri.

Burniece and siblings all born Washington.

Pam

mr62buick

Thank you Pam for all the information! I tried to start an account with the family search pages, but it won't accept any birth dates right now. Yes, Phyllis June Stabler was my Grandmother, and Edwin Ralph Stabler was my Grandfather. She passed in Sweet home Oregon when I was in my senior year in high school. My Grandfather in 1989 also passed. I knew of my family coming from England some how then moving to the stated then to North Dakota. As of your communications, I have learned that my Grandmothers siblings are about 30 miles away from me. I will see if they are on Facebook for sure to go from there. Can you find or locate anything about where in England I/We came from and any current family members? I would love to go to England and visit some family in my lifetime.