ElizabethS

Default Peter Lillington Shepherd 1920-2005

Peter born 1920, son of John Shepherd(IOW 1870), married Pauline Ridges Southampton Dst 1945. They appear to have had 1 child 1950. That child in turn appears also to have had only 1 child born 1995. I am very keen to contact either of them as they are the only remaining close family members in UK. Have had no luck finding them on the electoral register or telephone directories. Of course it hinders the search when one doesn't know where they live, although I suspect south of London. They are descended from the Dorset Shepherds.

Regards
    Elizabeth Shepherd
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 03-01-2015 at 8:43 AM. Reason: Names of potentially living people removed as per as AUP.

Reputation beyond repute

1. You could obtain a copy Peter Lillington Shepherd's will which might locations of family members at that time.

2. One search engine suggests the son may now be in Australia.

ElizabethS

Default Peter Lillington Shepherd 1920-2005

The family in Australia is in fact ours. The names of those still alive, the first born 1950 and the second born 1995 have been deleted from my first post.
    I am considering getting a copy of Peter's will but have not yet done so. The new will-probate search is brilliant.

Thank you for your reply.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Elizabeth,

A belated welcome to British-Genealogy.

I had to remove the names of Peter's child and grandchild as they breached our AUP.
    Before I could post a reply my computer decided to have a hissy fit so I had to go out with my mission only half completed.

Peter has come to the rescue with a much better reply than mine would have been, although we both focused on the same event. I was going to suggest that you obtained Peter's death certificate as his child may have registered the death and you would then have an address for him in 2005, which would at least be a starting point.
    After re-searching the electoral rolls, I was going to suggest writing to papers local to the area where the child was living, asking if people knew if the family still lived locally, as well as trying Friends Re-united and Facebook.

While googling for 'tracing agencies UK' I found this which might be useful to you.

Good luck in your search.

Pam

Do you have a copy of his death certificate? It's frequently a family member who registers a death.
    Also, is his wife still alive?

ElizabethS

Lesley and Pam thank you for your suggestions. Particularly the tracing services suggestions. I have already spent a lot of time searching each of the southern counties electoral roll on FMP. In most cases the middle initial is either left off or left as an initial,ie on the actual record. It is thanks to the family use of an unusual middle name that I was even able to find details of Peter. He had been unknown to the Australian family. And of course if they are not interested in genealogy the son & grandson will not be looking.
    I am however grateful and thrilled to at least make Peter's name searchable online.