Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default DANIEL JACOBS- ESTHER CAROLINE SIMMONDS

This new thread should be read in conjunction with 2 previous threads- Jacobs family china and glass merchants particularly #122-134 and Dinah Rauner Simmonds- Lewis Jacobs. In this new thread I will post initial British Census Data on the Daniel Jacobs and Esther Simmonds lines. These lines represent new data relating to Daniel Jacobs son of Dinah Simmonds and Lewis Jacobs. Importantly, the data establishes links to South America, USA and the West Indies.
    As the census data reveals Daniel Jacobs spent a period of his life in the West Indies as a merchant. He married Esther Caroline Simmonds on the 9 April 1862 in St.Thomas Virgin Islands and at least 3 of his known children were born in the West Indies.

1851 Census
    High Street Camberwell Lambeth ( Copyright,TNA) HO107 1574 519 4
    Dinah JACOBS H Widow 50 Fancy Repository b Surrey Newington
    Julia dau u 24 b Middx Whitechapel
    Benjamin son u 23 cigar maker b Surrey Newington
    Henry son u 21 cigar maker b Middx Whitechapel
    Sidney son u 19 Cigar dealer b Whitechapel
    Morris son u 17 cigar dealer b Surrey Newington
    DANIEL son 11 scholar b Surrey Newington
    +1 servant

Daniel next appears in the 1881 British Census
    49 Oxford Gardens Kensington Chelsea (Copyright,TNA) RG11 40 129 1 7
    Daniel Jacobs H Widower 41 West Indies Merchant b Surrey Newington
    Rawner dau u 18 b West Indies St.Thomas BS (British Subject)
    Sarah A dau u 16 b West Indies St.Thomas B.S. (British Subject) born deaf from birth
    Moses P son 13 scholar b Surrey Deaf from birth
    Benjamin sopn 11 b St.Thomas West Indies B.S (British Subject)
    +2 servants

Currently, I can't trace the death of Daniel.

By 1891 Census Rawner, Sarah and Moses are living together as lodgers:
    33..? Road Lambeth Brixton ( Copyright,TNA) rg12 407 8 10
    Rawner F Jacobs lodger s 28 living on own means b West Indies St.Thomas born..( no detail)
    Sarah A Jacobs u 26 lodger Dress maker b West Indies St.Thomas born Deaf
    Moses P Jacobs u 25 lodger b West Indies St.Thomas

In the 1901 Census Rawner is living with her sister Sarah and her husband:
    45 North..? Highbury Islington (Copyright,TNA) RG13 202 93 9
    Alfred BENJAMIN H M 45 31 Foreign Stamp Dealer b Oxford St Middx
    Sarah A wife 36 b St Thomas WI BS Deaf from Birth
    Constance dau 3 b Islington Middx
    Lily F dau 1 b Islington Middx
    RAWNER F JACOBS sister in law u 38 House Keeper(Domestic) b St Thomas WI B.S,
    +1 Servant

I will post further on the lines.
    Phillip

The following Death Index Record appears to be for Rawner Florence Jacobs:
    GRO DEATH INDEX RECORD- ROUWNER F JACOBS b abt 1864 Dec Qtr 1939 Wandsworth 1d 681 age 75

The Standard Saturday March 5,1881 - Death-March 2 at 49 Oxford Gardens Notting Hill W Esther Carolina wife of Daniel Jacobs late of St.Thomas WI in her 41st year

The Morning Post Thursday Dec 12,1867 -BIRTH- On the 7th inst at 260 Camberwell New Road the wife of Daniel Jacobs Esq of St.Thomas, West Indies of a son.

I will add further data as it emerges.
    Phillip

I enclose a brief newspaper summary account of the Death of Henry Jacobs son of Lewis Henry and Dinah Rawner Jacobs. There are several newspaper accounts of his death including a Coroner's Inquiry.
    The Standard Monday Sept 26,1881- Sept 17 at 11.50 am found drowned in the River Thames, Henry Jacobs second son of the late Lewis Henry and Dinah Rawner Jacobs of Camberwell aged 52. He is deeply lamented by his sorrowful family and much regretted by his numerous friends.

The Coroner's Inquiry included the testimony of Henry's brother Sydney Jacobs who could not account for why his brother was found in the Thames. Money appeared not to be an issue and Henry when he left a public house was not drunk and had a large sum of money with him. This money was not found neither was his gold watch and chain. The jury returned an open verdict.

Phillip

Default HENRY JACOBS ABT1829-1881

This post adds some further data regarding Henry Jacobs b abt 1829- 1881 who was found drowned in the Thames. In the Coroner's Inquest Sydney Jacobs stated that his brother Henry rented premises at 21 Catherine St Strand. The 1881 Census shows:
    21 Catherine Street Strand RG11 333 58 32 (Crown Copyright,TNA)
    Henry Jacobs Lodger 50 Commission Agent b Middx

As a brief recap Henry and Sydney were two of the sons of Lewis Henry Jacobs and Dinah Rawner Simmonds

As a further follow up here is data on Sydney Jacobs who in the 1881 Census was living at the same house where his grandmother Eve Simmonds wife of Woolfe Simmonds had died in 1867.
    1881 Census RG11 670 59 5 (Crown Copyright,TNA)
    258 New Road Camberwell

Sydney Jacobs H M 49 Financial Agent b Newington Surrey
    Esther wife 26 b Walworth
    +1 servant

This maybe the Marriage of Sydney and Esther:
    The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1871-80 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger,1999 Publisher Robert Boyd
    Marriage 27.3.1878 at 27 Woburn Place, Russell Square Sydney Jacobs of Camberwell to Esther JONES, only daughter of FRANCES and DAVID JONES of 108 Walworth Road

Phillip

Many thanks for all this data Philpp. I am following, searching and adding to my family tree.

Regarding Daniel Jacobs Simmonds - we know he became a widower at 41 years ol and in 1881 Census, ata Age 42
    he lived in Kensington, London, England stating he was a West Indies Merchant... from then on I have not been able to find more info on him - not even where/when he died (as you mentioned above)

BUT there is a Daniel Jacobs aged 65, merchant, who traveled to the West Indies and to Colon (Panama) in 1905, we find this in passenger registries at NY port and Liverpool port... could this be Daniel Jacobs Simmonds, Birth date and occupation match, as well as his history of bussiines s to WI... any suggestions on where to find corroboration of this data...
    Name: Daniel Jacobs
    Birth Date: abt 1840
    Port of Departure: New York, New York, United States
    Arrival Date: 9 Dec 1905
    Port of Arrival: Liverpool, England
    Ship Name: Lucania
    Search Ship Database: Search for the Lucania in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
    Official Number: 102105

Name: Daniel Jacobs
    Arrival Date: 8 Mar 1905
    Birth Date: abt 1840
    Ethnicity/ Nationality: English
    Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
    Port of Arrival: New York, New York
    Ship Name: Oceanic
    Search Ship Database: Search for the Oceanic in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database

Lucrecia
    The data suggests that this maybe Daniel. I noted that he was a widower and also had spent- it looks like 5 years to 1898 in New York. He gave the reason for travel to Colon as 'pleasure'. Noted also- D S?Jacobs 51 male merchant age 42 b abt 1838 arrival 21 July 1880 from Liverpool to New York on "Abyssina"

There are two main reasons why we can't appear to locate Daniel in the UK Records- first, he was overseas possibly in NY and second the transcription errors on Ancestry.Com census may prevent us from locating him further. I noted possible other Daniel Jacobs on other pay sites who do not appear on Ancestry.Com. In the past I have paid to access those sites and discovered the 'missing' individual/s
    Phillip

Deleted

For my Jacobs/Simmonds cousins:
    GRO Death Certificate

ESTHER CAROLINA JACOBS
    2 March 1881 -49 Oxford Gardens - Esther Carolina Jacobs maiden name SIMMONDS 40 years of age Wife of Daniel Jacobs West Indies Merchant-Cause of Death Pyaenica 4 weeks Exhaustion- Informant Benjamin JACOBS brother in law present at the death 26 Camberwell New Road

I will post separate certificates of death for Wolf Simmonds and his wife Eve Simmonds nee Jacobs

Phillip

Lucrecia and Jacobs/Simmonds distant cousins- I have access to the Jewish Chronicle Archives and will post any relevant data discovered.
    As a start here is an important clue to where Daniel Jacobs settled post the death of his wife Caroline- see#6 of this thread and the reference to New York.

The following is the Marriage of Sarah Alma aka Alma to Alfred Benjamin:
    Jewish Chronicle June 23 1893

BENJAMIN;of 10 Elmore Street N to ALMA youngest daughter of DANIEL JACOBS of New York USA, formerly of St.Thomas West Indies and of CAROLINE JACOBS. American and Australian Newspapers Copy.

This reference to Daniel Jacobs in New York in 1893 supports the data in #6. It is likely, that Daniel died in NY. Did he re-marry?

The other interesting reference is for the marriage of Alma to be reported in American and Australian Jewish newspapers suggesting that there maybe Jacobs and other relatives in these countries which we are unaware of.

Phillip

Here is the Jewish Chronicle Death notice for Sarah Alma aka Alma Benjamin nee Jacobs:
    Jan 9 1925
    On the 3rd January 1925 at "Fairview", Green Meadow Road Knebworth late of 45 Northolme Road Highbury N ALMA BENJAMIN aged 60, beloved darling mother of Connie and Lily and sister of Florence and Percy Jacobs

Death JC Oct 25 1895
    On the 19th inst at 45 Northholme Road, Highbury Albert Edward, beloved infant son of Alfred and Alma Benjamin aged 2 months

Phillip

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast