Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rochoy

Default George William Bickerton Brooks

Hi all

Please could someone help me. I have a George William Bickerton Brooks born about August 1880, his death notice says Somerset, England to GEORGE WILLIAM BICKERTON BROOKS and MARY JANE HARDWICK. He was with the Cape Police, South Africa, during the Boer War. I have not been able to find anything on the 1881, 1891 Census for any of them.

Thanks
    Barbara

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by Rochoy View Post
    Hi all

Please could someone help me. I have a George William Bickerton Brooks born about August 1880, his death notice says Somerset, England to GEORGE WILLIAM BICKERTON BROOKS and MARY JANE HARDWICK. He was with the Cape Police, South Africa, during the Boer War. I have not been able to find anything on the 1881, 1891 Census for any of them.

Thanks
    Barbara

What was the date of his death do you know and where was it.
    Did he marry Mary Jane.?

Rochoy

Hi, G W B Brooks (jr) returned, or remained in South Africa after the Boer War, and died age 85 years and 8 months, on 10 March 1966 Pinelands, Cape Town, South Africa. His Parents, I think stayed in England as I cannot find any info. on them here in South Africa. Unfortunately, they do not mention any town in Somerset to go on, just that he was British and born in Somerset. Family seem to think he came from Kent, but I have not found any Brooks there with the same father and son Christian names either.

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Quick check with Freebmd 1879-1880 all counties,Sep Qtr 1880,George William B Brooks,Marylebone 1a 577.Too early on Sunday for census check,after breakfast.

janbooth

Could this be him departing from London on 27 May 1890 on the "Pembroke Castle", destination Cape Town, South Africa (courtesy of Ancestry's UK Outgoing Passenger Lists 1890-1960:

Mrs M J BROOKS aged 35 destination Cape Town
    John W do 15 do
    Geo W do 9 do
    E M J do 5 do

If George W B snr travelled out prior to the rest of his family, he would not appear on Ancestry's Outgoing Passenger Lists.

Janet

Rochoy

Hi there
    I wonder if it could be him, they did live in Cape Town.

I have found George William B Brooks, born in 3rd Quarter 1880, Marylebone , on the BMD, but have never been able to pick him up in any census, the closest I found was a George Brooks 48 and Mary 46 in the Bedfordshire - Luton 1891 census, with a son George age 9.

G W B Brooks jr, named a son GEORGE William and another son JOHN Frederick.

I think this could very well be a new lead for me to try and follow. (GWB jr's death notice, just confuses everything, saying he was born in Somerset) Thank you very much for this new info. much appreciated. regards

Barbara

Rochoy

I found a Eliza Mary J B Brooks born DEC 1884 Marylebone 1a 573.

Mrs M J BROOKS aged 35 destination Cape Town
    John W do 15 do
    Geo W do 9 do
    E M J do 5 do .................. this could be the same person, the B could stand for Bickerton, Which is a name given to two of GWB Brooks jr's children, both a son and a daughter, as a second and third christian name.

Janet thank you again, I think this is my Brooks family.

janbooth

Glad to be of help and I do hope they turn out to be yours.

Janet

Rochoy

Default Found George William Bickerton Brooks

The Mrs M.J. BROOKS (35 yrs) and her three children, John W (15), Geo W( 9), and E. M.J. (5) that came to South Africa on the Pembroke Castle are my family. Thanks Janet.

Mrs MARY JANE BROOKS married twice in South Africa. on her Death Notice, her 3rd husband, stated that WILLIAM BROOKS her 1st husband, died in England. (unknown when or where)
    A fourth son, only 12 yrs old seemed to travel to South Africa on the Methven Castle also in 1890, (Fred) Frederick Brooks. (I don't have the exact date)

I found the family in the 1881 Census, in the Parish of St Marylebone, Middlesex, England. WILLIAM BROOKS (40 yrs) birth year 1841 GLOUCESTER,GLOUCESTERSHIRE, and JANE BROOKS, (30 yrs) (nee HARDWICK, not mentioned) born 1851 Somerset, England. Her Death Notice puts her birth year around Aug 1857. Her parents were JOHN and MARY HARDWICK.

However even with this info, I am still unable to pick up marriage for William Brooks and (Mary) Jane Hardwick. Any suggestions, would be most appreciated, thanking you all for your valued help, Barbara

Rochoy

Hello again, After some waiting I have received both George William Bickerton Brooks and Frederick Samuel Bickerton Brooks's Birth Certificates, ON both Certificates it states the the father is WILLIAM BICKERTON BROOKS and the mother is MARY BROOKS formerly PUDDY.

I have found a MARY JANE PUDDY HARDWICK born in PORTBURY, SOMERSET in 1849, I wonder if this could be the mother of my BROOKS family. But father is WILLIAM HARDWICK, mother is Mary Hardwick.

I also cannot find anything on a WILLIAM BICKERTON BROOKS. "BICKERTON" must have some importance as 3 of the children have it included as a Christian Name.

I would be greatful for any suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast