Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    janbooth

There is a death registration on the GRO Index at Marylebone reg district in the March qtr 1887 for a William BROOKS aged 46 which could perhaps be your William given that William, Jane & their family were living in Marylebone in the 1881 census.

Found the birth/baptism of George William BROOKS which took place on 20 November 1881 (born 30 June) at St Luke Marylebone, parents William & Mary Jane BROOKS, 61 Seymour Place, Shopman (source Ancestry's London Parish Registers). This is would not appear to be the George BROOKS who is in the 1881 census as he is shown as aged 9 months, so presumably he must have died. However, I cannot find the baptisms of the other two children.

There is a Mary J PUDDY aged 1, born Wrington, in the 1851 census of Easton Gordano, Somerset, parents Charles & Elizabeth, but I am having difficulty finding the family after this census record. Ah, that might be explained by a Tree on Ancestry for this family which states that Charles died in 1857 and Mary Jane died in 1858, so probably not your Mary Jane.

I have found a marriage at Mark, Somerset on 1 January 1873 for a Mary Jane PUDDY, aged 20, father Henry PUDDY to a William George COX. However she is in the 1881 census of South Brent living with her husband and children, so again not your Mary Jane.

Will keep looking though.

Janet

Rochoy

Hello Janet
    Thank you for your help again.
    I think that, that is my William Brooks, but I don't think the certificate will give me much information other than his full name and date of death, correct me if I'm wrong. It won't give me his date of birth, or his parents names, or will it?

The Baptism in ST Lukes is my George William (Bickerton) Brooks. He was born on the 30 June 1880, so he was actually almost 17 mnths old when Baptised.
    His sister Eliza Mary (Jane Bickerton) Brooks was born 7 Nov 1884 and Baptised 11 Jan 1885 St Mary's Marylebone.(I have the Baptism)
    I wonder if John William is not (John William Bickerton Marylebone 1a 556) I cannot find anything else on this person.

Mary Jane Brooks formerly PUDDY , I am almost positive, that she was Mary Jane Puddy Hardwick, how else did her family here is SA come up with Hardwick, but don't mention PUDDY. My only problem is. I can only find a Marriage in Bedminster 17 July 1871 (I have a copy of this too) for her 22 yrs old and a Thomas Hunt. I did see a child born to them in Wales, so this cannot be my MARY JANE. I am trying to find other Mary Jane Hardwick's born around that time, There is one born in Axbridge, Mar 1855 but then she also died in the same time period.

I wonder if I should not start looking in Gloucestershire, on Ancestry I see for the 1871 Census a Mary Hardwick, born about 1848. I will need to look into that one. There is also a Mary Jane Hardwick married in 1871 Stroud, Gloucester, to Albert EVANS or Henry William PAYNE.

The Mary Jane Puddy's are also, some born around that time then followed by deaths. It's a pity when they did the registers they did not include parents, as with common names it becomes impossible to trace them when you don't have enough detail. William Brooks is an example. If they called him William Bickerton Brooks but only registered him as William Brooks, the year of birth could be out how does one know which one to order.

Thank you again for your help. Barbara

janbooth

Hello Barbara,

The death certificate should give you his name, age, residence at time of death, occupation, cause of death plus the name of who registered the death which may be a relative or may not. His age is of course only as good as the knowledge of the person registering the death. Re Mary Jane's surname, perhaps another scenario is that her father died and her mother remarried a HARDWICK so she became known as Mary Jane Puddy HARDWICK but of course on official documentary evidence she would show her name as Mary Jane PUDDY.

Janet

Rochoy

Hi

Thanks, never thought of that, will include that idea in with my research.
    I do know that Mary Jane Puddy Hardwick of Portbury's, grandmother was Mary Puddy, she married William Hardwick 18 June 1814 South Brent, Somerset. They had a son Charles Puddy Hardwick, who died 28 May 1849 Portbury, the same year MJP Hardwick was born.
    The scenario's are sometimes endless, unless you can find the real facts.
    Thank you again for your help
    Barbara

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12