Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Settling in

Post Pigman family in Hunstanton

I am new here and this is my second post.

Can someone help me find the record of John Pigman's birth which I believe was in Norfolk?

Here is what we have:

The earliest record of John Pigman in the American Colonies is:

Nov. 12, 1684 - Ordered that John Pigman and James Lyle servants to Mr. Edward Pye be free and have their corn and clothes from said Pye. (Charles Co., Md. Circuit Court, Liber L, p. 19.)

When doing research on Edward Pye, we discovered that he was from Norfolk, so we began looking at the parish records for Pigman and discovered quite a few - the earliest in Hunstanton - St. Mary's church!

I have not yet been able to connect John Pigman with the Pigman families I have found in Norfolk.

Here are some of the records:

Georgius Pigman married three times all at St. Mary's Hunstanton

First to Alicia last name unknown who died 8 Sept 1636
    Second to Elizabetha Egmore m. 28 Aug 1637
    Third to Maria Eaton m. 20 Jan 1639

There are several more records of Pigman b.m.d. in Hunstanton and later in Norwich. I can list them here if needed.

Please help!

Knowledgeable and helpful

Does the "be free" indicate that the two men were indentured servants or criminals transported? Have you investigated James Lyle, to see where he is from? Given that your first mention is 1684, and the ancestor might have been 30 years old or so, that would make his birth during the English Civil War, and there are lots of gaps in the records of that period. You may need to try other types of records which have survived, other than church records. pwholt

Settling in

Thank you for your reply.

We have always assumed that he indentured himself because he purchased a plantation in Maryland in 1695. My logic could, however, be flawed. The name of the 137 acre plantation was Parndon but I believe that was the name given to it by it's previous owner Col. James Smallwood.

We have tried to find references to James Lyle with no success.

John was married to Sarah Reley dau of Philip Reley. Their oldest daughter Mary married Samuel Mason. Their youngest child was my 5th ggrandfather Mason Pigman.

There is a very curious mention by John Pigman in his will which I believe was a portion of his land (or maybe not) "Taunton where I now dwell". I don't know if this was named by him. His will was made 10 Oct 1712. He died 12 Oct 1712.

Curtis Pigman

Quote Originally Posted by pwholt View Post
    Does the "be free" indicate that the two men were indentured servants or criminals transported? Have you investigated James Lyle, to see where he is from? Given that your first mention is 1684, and the ancestor might have been 30 years old or so, that would make his birth during the English Civil War, and there are lots of gaps in the records of that period. You may need to try other types of records which have survived, other than church records. pwholt
    Last edited by Pigman; 27-12-2014 at 3:52 PM. Reason: typo

Settling in

The Pye family has connections to Norfolk but I just cannot connect Col. Edward Pye to Norfolk and also to Maryland. Does anyone have information on indenture lists that may be appropriate?

Anything will help!

Cheers,
    Curtis

Name well known on Brit-Gen

here is a very curious mention by John Pigman in his will which I believe was a portion of his land (or maybe not) "Taunton where I now dwell".
    Maybe it is late, but I cannot see this wording....

The Will of John PIGMAN 1712 is on line
    https://
    files.usgwarchives.net/md/princegeorge/wills/pigman-j.txt

Found this

https://curtisnsissy.tripod.com/id68.html

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    Maybe it is late, but I cannot see this wording....

The Will of John PIGMAN 1712 is on line
    https://
    files.usgwarchives.net/md/princegeorge/wills/pigman-j.txt

Found this

https://curtisnsissy.tripod.com/id68.html
    I just looked it up in the book "John Pigman and his Descendants" by Kelleher, Funk, Young and Witt. It is apparently not in his will but in a deed dated 2 Oct 1706 where he deeded "37 acres of Taunton where I now dwell, of 137 acres"

This deed was given for "love and affection". I do not know and haven't been able to find out what Anthony Long's connection was to John Pigman of Parndon Plantation Maryland.

In John's will of 1712 that land (the 37 acres given to Anthony Long) reverted back to John's oldest daughter Mary (Pigman) Mason.

The web site you mentioned is mine: curtisnsissy.tripod.com.

Thanks,
    Curtis Pigman

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Anthony LONG

One is mentioned on this link scroll down item 1) without studying it I cannot tell whether your man!

https://www.
    scislaw.com/genealogy/longweb/lineages/JamesThomasLong.html

HAving scanned this I think not, but may give you a lead.
    https://wc.
    rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=johnnystree&id=I06319

I note the name PUTMAN? another version of PIGMAN

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    Anthony LONG

One is mentioned on this link scroll down item 1) without studying it I cannot tell whether your man!

https://www.
    scislaw.com/genealogy/longweb/lineages/JamesThomasLong.html

HAving scanned this I think not, but may give you a lead.
    https://wc.
    rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=johnnystree&id=I06319

I note the name PUTMAN? another version of PIGMAN
    Thanks for the lead on the Anthony Long mystery. It seems they have their own mystery concerning him - listed as their earliest ancestor of the Long family of North Carolina and later the Laing family of Georgia.

Strange that John Pigman deeded Anthony Long 37 acres of land for "love and affection" . Could this mean he was related to the Pigman family?

As far as Putman I don't think that would be our family.

I did find, however that William (Witrug) Pigman's father was George Pigman of Hunstanton. George Pigman is listed in the earlier record's of St. Mary's church Hunstanton as Gorge Piggeman and as George Piggman in a marriage record and in several records where his children to three different wives were born - all in Hunstanton.

The Witrug to William Pigman translation was solved by our writing to the Norfolk Family History Society(which I have since joined). They graciously featured this copy of William Pigman's record in the December 2012 issue of their monthly magazine: https://nfhs.org.uk/ancestor/ancestor...r_2012_dec.pdf

We got some help from several of their members regarding the Latin shorthand of the period.

Not sure of John Pigman of Maryland's connection to George or his father William of Hunstanton, though I suspect one of them was his father.
    The earliest record we have of John is the 1684 record where he was being asked to be released from his indenture and paid along with James Lyle.

Settling in

"Not sure of John Pigman of Maryland's connection to George or his father William of Hunstanton, though I suspect one of them was his father.
    The earliest record we have of John is the 1684 record where he was being asked to be released from his indenture and paid along with James Lyle."

Meant to say William or his Father George of Hunstanton

If I could just find John Pigman's birth record in Norfolk I would finally be across the pond!

Curtis

Settling in

I know is has been a while but I just got this tidbit of information via e-mail. As I was investigating the possibility that Pigman might have actually been Pyemont with a cousin James Lyley!

Here is the hint from a U.K. friend:

"Re William Lyley
    Pyemont inherited an estate near Wakefield from his cousin william lyley in 1685. I have found mention of Lyley family in 1300s in Yorkshire deeds, again possibly linked with Pyemonts. I do not have Lyley family tree as yet. Name has many spelling possibly de lisle and insular. There is or was a lyley hall near York. But will research. Would be very interested in any info you have re Lyley or Pyemont ( you mentioned children's names and family tree.?) one of interesting things about early Pyemonts in yorkshire is that they always married into other very important yorkshire families ie Vavasour, de Flemming, Maude, Lister etc. Some of whom might be linked through cousin ship etc to american founding fathers. Have not researched that really just noticing some names looking familiar when I was in Jamestown ie Percy and Throgmorton.
    Please tell me more about James Lyley and Pigman indentured to Pye in America as I have lost the reference. I know Americans have visited the old Pyemont house in yorkshire claiming to be relatives but know nothing about them. But could try and find out. Although I do know A marriage was made with an American woman in 19th century.
    The name Pigman does not feature in any of my historical researches here so far. But spellings varied so much. If we could establish historically if the Pigman was in fact a pyemont going to America with his cousin Lyley then that would be interesting. I can try my end so please give me as many facts as possible including any other names, places dates etc associated with the indenture. Although surprising that they should be indentured when the families were not poor."

Any help would be most gratefully appreciated!

Curtis
    Last edited by Pigman; 19-01-2016 at 8:24 PM. Reason: added quotes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast