Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Settling in

Could Lille be the French spelling and origin of his name before it was Anglicized? Hmmmmm.

Settling in

Are there any Lille family researchers here? I am still hoping I can find the connection.

Settling in

Talking John Pigman's b.record in Norfolk?? Norwich??

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    I am new here and this is my second post.

Can someone help me find the record of John Pigman's birth which I believe was in Norfolk?

Here is what we have:

The earliest record of John Pigman in the American Colonies is:

Nov. 12, 1684 - Ordered that John Pigman and James Lyle servants to Mr. Edward Pye be free and have their corn and clothes from said Pye. (Charles Co., Md. Circuit Court, Liber L, p. 19.)

When doing research on Edward Pye, we discovered that he was from Norfolk, so we began looking at the parish records for Pigman and discovered quite a few - the earliest in Hunstanton - St. Mary's church!

I have not yet been able to connect John Pigman with the Pigman families I have found in Norfolk.

Here are some of the records:

Georgius Pigman married three times all at St. Mary's Hunstanton

First to Alicia last name unknown who died 8 Sept 1636
    Second to Elizabetha Egmore m. 28 Aug 1637
    Third to Maria Eaton m. 20 Jan 1639

There are several more records of Pigman b.m.d. in Hunstanton and later in Norwich. I can list them here if needed.

Please help!
    I am still trying to find my ancestor's birth record in Norfolk. I have guessed at it and I really don't like assuming without finding the village and his record. Here is what I am looking for:

John Pigman born approx. 1662 in Norfolk. Possibly in or near Norwich and possibly the son of William Pigman and Ann Amond. see my ancestry tree: https://www.ancestry.com/familytree/...17766985/facts

William Pigman
    BIRTH 24 NOV 1644 • Hunstanton, Norfolk, England
    DEATH 21 JAN 1704 • Hunstanton, Norfolk, England

Could it be in some church records from a village around Norwich? Are these records not all on the internet?
    Some of the Pigman family seems to have moved from the area of Hunstanton to Norwich and area around 1660s.

Any one from the area or familiar with these records if they could help I will be eternally grateful.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Some posts back, I mentioned that not all parish registers have survived, and so cannot be online. Last night I did a short check on the area around Hunstanton to see what the situation re survival was/is. I used a radius of about 8 miles from Hunstanton, which is a coastal parish which reduces the size of the neighbouring parishes. In that area, I listed some 17 parishes (using an AA road atlas as my eyes weren't up to reading the map from Phillimore's Atlas & Index of parish registers). I then noted the earliest dates for registers or BTs as given in Phillimore's. Of the 17, there were some 8 or 10 where the records do not survive from the period needed for your research. These include Holme next the sea 1704, Thornham 1716, Docking 1813, Snettisham 1682, Ingoldisthorpe 1754, Shernborne 1749, Fring 1671, Dersingham 1653 and Fakenham 1719. For Docking, there are Bishop's Transcripts but experience tells me that they will be very patchy for the period of interest, and not up to the job of substituting for the actual registers.

If this is the situation within 8 miles of Hunstanton, I would expect it to be similar for the rest of Norfolk, so at most 40% of parishes not having early enough records to help you. In the past 200 years, I expect there have been many people searching for this elusive man, John Pigman, but none have found him, and I think this must be because there are no surviving records to give proof of him. By all means continue your quest, but be aware of the reality of the materials which have survived to help you. pwholt

Settling in

Default Hunstanton/Norwich, Norfolk church records

Quote Originally Posted by pwholt View Post
    Some posts back, I mentioned that not all parish registers have survived, and so cannot be online. Last night I did a short check on the area around Hunstanton to see what the situation re survival was/is. I used a radius of about 8 miles from Hunstanton, which is a coastal parish which reduces the size of the neighbouring parishes. In that area, I listed some 17 parishes (using an AA road atlas as my eyes weren't up to reading the map from Phillimore's Atlas & Index of parish registers). I then noted the earliest dates for registers or BTs as given in Phillimore's. Of the 17, there were some 8 or 10 where the records do not survive from the period needed for your research. These include Holme next the sea 1704, Thornham 1716, Docking 1813, Snettisham 1682, Ingoldisthorpe 1754, Shernborne 1749, Fring 1671, Dersingham 1653 and Fakenham 1719. For Docking, there are Bishop's Transcripts but experience tells me that they will be very patchy for the period of interest, and not up to the job of substituting for the actual registers.

If this is the situation within 8 miles of Hunstanton, I would expect it to be similar for the rest of Norfolk, so at most 40% of parishes not having early enough records to help you. In the past 200 years, I expect there have been many people searching for this elusive man, John Pigman, but none have found him, and I think this must be because there are no surviving records to give proof of him. By all means continue your quest, but be aware of the reality of the materials which have survived to help you. pwholt
    Thank you pwholt for your research into the existing and non-existant church records around Hunstanton!

I have a distant cousin who is hiring a genealogist in England to look into the matter of just where John Pigman may have come from. At this point I am steering him in the direction of Norwich and surrounds as the cousinship between Pigman/Pyemont and Lyley at Leeds and Wakefield in West Yorkshire and the friendship in Maryland may have just been a weird coincidence.

Chances are better in my opinion that he came from either Norfolk or perhaps the Taunton, Somerset area.
    Last edited by Pigman; 01-07-2017 at 6:05 PM. Reason: correction to West Yorkshire

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12