Starting to feel at home

Default Worplesdon Henleys

Looking for dates of birth and death for -

* Richard Henley (married January 1795, St Mary's Worplesdon. Sons: William born 1806; John born c. 1805; Edmund born c. 1808. There were others who died as infants. Daughter: Mary Ann born c. 1803. Possible will and DOD for Richard -1809 - although the quality of the record renders it almost completely illegible )

*Elizabeth Henley (nee Hall) (married January 1795 St Mary's Worplesdon to Richard. Same children as above. Possible DOD 1843, buried Stoke-next-Guildford)

I have been unable to find any records. Richard would have been a farmer/brickmaker and he and Elizabeth lived in Pitch Place Worplesdon, Surrey. I have also checked records under the spelling Henly.

Finding it difficult to find viewable records of anything much prior to 1790s.

Thanks!

Growing old Disgracefully

Most of the records are on the IGI web site.

You probably won't find actual Birth dates as most were not recorded at this time what you will find is Baptism/Christening
    records.

David Henley
    Christening Date: 04 Jun 1797
    Christening Place: WORPLESDON,SURREY,ENGLAND
    Father's Name: Richard Henley
    Mother's Name: Elizabeth
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C06600-3 , System Origin: England-ODM , GS Film number: 991749

Henry Henley
    Christening Date: 07 Mar 1796
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C06600-3 , System Origin: England-ODM , GS Film number: 991749

Richard Henley
    Christening Date: 25 Feb 1795

then they moved to Stoke next Guildford, Surrey

William Henley
    Birth Date: 20 Dec 1806
    Birthplace: Stoke-next-Guildford, Surrey, England
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I02092-4 , System Origin: England-EASy , GS Film number: 475657

Richard Henley
    Birth Date: 04 Oct 1805
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I02092-4 , System Origin: England-EASy , GS Film number: 475657

Mary Ann Henly
    Birth Date: 15 Jun 1804
    Father's Name: Richard Henly
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I02092-4 , System Origin: England-EASy , GS Film number: 475657 ,

George Henly
    Birth Date: 24 May 1803

This could be either Father or Son
    Name: Richard Henley
    Burial Date: 30 Jun 1810
    Burial Place: Stoke-Next-Guildford, Surrey, England

janbooth

Richard Henley of Stoke's PCC Will dated 22 May 1809 states that he is a Brickmaker and mentions his brother William HENLEY, Yeoman, of Worplesdon, James HOWARD of Stoke, Farmer to be Trustees, wife Elizabeth, children Henry, James?, Charles, Thomas, George, Mary, William, John, Edward & Elizabeth. You are correct in that it is pretty difficult to decipher but on the face of it, this would appear to be your Richard. The Will was proved at London on 21 October 1809.

Janet

Quote Originally Posted by missmandyjane View Post

*Elizabeth Henley (nee Hall) (married January 1795 St Mary's Worplesdon to Richard. Same children as above. Possible DOD 1843, buried Stoke-next-Guildford)
    The Elizabeth, buried 2 Sep 1843, Stoke-next-Guildford, was aged 76 (Find My Past - National Burial Index Transcriptions). This would fit with the 1841 Census entry ie aged 70 (rounded down)
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Starting to feel at home

Janet - you have deciphered more of that will than I was able to, but you've confirmed a few names I thought I saw in it. Thanks so much!!

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    Most of the records are on the IGI web site.

You probably won't find actual Birth dates as most were not recorded at this time what you will find is Baptism/Christening
    records.

David Henley
    Christening Date: 04 Jun 1797

Henry Henley
    Christening Date: 07 Mar 1796

Richard Henley
    Christening Date: 25 Feb 1795

then they moved to Stoke next Guildford, Surrey

William Henley
    Birth Date: 20 Dec 1806

Richard Henley
    Birth Date: 04 Oct 1805

Mary Ann Henly
    Birth Date: 15 Jun 1804
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I02092-4 , System Origin: England-EASy , GS Film number: 475657 ,

George Henly
    Birth Date: 24 May 1803

This could be either Father or Son
    Name: Richard Henley
    Burial Date: 30 Jun 1810
    Burial Place: Stoke-Next-Guildford, Surrey, England
    Thanks Sandy for all that effort!! I have a lot of that info already. The death of Richard in 1810 isn't my Richard unfortunately (I had already discounted that record). The family stayed in Pitch Place, Worplesdon but for some reason some of the children were baptised in Stoke. Go figure! I think you're absolutely correct about DOBs being listed as baptism dates - it seems to be what I've learned very recently. I had discovered a little while ago that David was actually Daniel! The name has been transcribed or misread incorrectly somewhere - I have a copy of the original record and it's definitely Daniel. Very grateful for all that information and the time you spent searching for it. :-)

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    The Elizabeth, buried 2 Sep 1843, Stoke-next-Guildford, was aged 76 (Find My Past - National Burial Index Transcriptions). This would fit with the 1841 Census entry ie aged 70 (rounded down)
    Hi Helachau, the date I have for Elizabeth's burial is 9 February 1843. Hmmmm... another mystery! I don't seem to be able to find them in the 1841 census, would you mind posting a link to the record you found, I'd be very grateful?

Apologies - it is "9. 2. 1843" not "2. 9. 1843" (quite clear on FMP!!)

The 1841 ref is HO107, Book No 8, Piece No 1080, Folio 12, Page 17

Somerset Marriages (post 1754) transcriptions (FMP)
    On 4 Oct 1810 William Wensley, parish Wellington to Mary Slape, Parish not transcribed, at Nynehead, Somerset.
    (note - date triple checked!!)
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

janbooth

Richard HENLEY was buried at Stoke on 7 June 1809, aged 63, which gives you a birth date of c1746 - source Ancestry's Stoke next to Guildford, Surrey Parish Registers.

Now perhaps this is worth further investigation on your part. There is a baptism at Send St Mary, Surrey on 27 May 1748 of Richard son of George HENLEY plus a baptism on 23 March 1745 of William son of George & Mary HENLEY (source original parish register entries for Surrey on Ancestry). Send with Ripley, Surrey is not a million miles away from Worplesdon. If you have access to Ancestry, you should be able to trace through to see if this Richard & William did in fact stay in Send or disappear from the parish registers. If they did not remain in Send, you may have found the birthplace of your Richard.

Just found William HENLEY's PCC Will on Ancestry. It is easier to read than that of Richard, so you may be able to glean more information about the HENLEY family from that. The Will was proved in 1821. From a quick glance, it mentions a sister Sarah HENLEY, a nephew John BURT and Richard's children. Sister Sarah HENLEY's Will is also on Ancestry dated 1827 and is beautifully clear writing, so that may also give you some clues. George & Mary HENLEY also had a daughter Sarah baptised at Send on 29 July 1753 - more corroborative information!

Looking further at Ancestry's Wills, there is one for a John HENLEY of Send dated 1855. It is quite a long Will so I haven't looked at it in any great depth, but it does mention a George BURT of Worplesdon, so perhaps this John is also connected to your Richard in some way.

Hope this helps further.

Janet

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Apologies - it is "9. 2. 1843" not "2. 9. 1843" (quite clear on FMP!!)

The 1841 ref is HO107, Book No 8, Piece No 1080, Folio 12, Page 17

Somerset Marriages (post 1754) transcriptions (FMP)
    On 4 Oct 1810 William Wensley, parish Wellington to Mary Slape, Parish not transcribed, at Nynehead, Somerset.
    (note - date triple checked!!)

Thanks for the census ref!! William Wensley and Mary Slape are not my relations. I don't have any ancestors from Somerset. Did you accidentally put this in the wrong post?