Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Theft of bread

Dudley1

Default Theft of bread

Hi, Where do I start please?

In 1908 my Grandfather Frank Harold Matthews DOB 1891 aged 17 living in London, was caught steeling a loaf of bread. His punishment was to be sent to Yorkshire to serve hard labour in the Three Nuns mine near Wakefield in Yorkshire.. This we have from information handed down through the family.

I should like to confirm the above and find out more information. Ideally I would like to locate court papers or newspaper clips, or even archived records of mine employees at that time from that mine.
    I have found out there was a Three Nuns Coal Mine.
    We think he did a runner from the mine and didn't serve his full time. He told a tale of workmen with a steam roller working on the road taking sympathy on this bedraggled starving lad and feeding him with food cooked at the roadside on the back of a shovel. He made his way home on foot from Yorkshire to London. This may have been due to him absconding, but also, if he was not given a return rail ticket after he served all his sentence he would have to walk.
    The mine must have been tough for him if he did run away as Grandad was no softie.
    Shortly after in 1910 he joined the Army, served in India, and survived the entire 1914/18 great war, even though he was wounded by bullet and shrapnel 4 times. finally left the Army in 1922.
    So any help would be great.
    Thank you
    Thanks Steve Matthews.

Knowledgeable and helpful

He doesn't appear in the Old Bailey online records, so I expect he was dealt with at a local level. You need to discover where he was living in London, to discover which court would deal with his "crime" - was it a magistrate's court or something else? Where was the family living in 1901, from the census? pwholt

Brick wall demolition expert!

I could not find anything in FMP's newspaper archives.

Hi
    I can't help with newspaper articles either but was just wondering if you have your grandfather's service record from the MOD. As he served beyond 1920 they should have it. This 'sticky' explains.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Dudley1

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi
    I can't help with newspaper articles either but was just wondering if you have your grandfather's service record from the MOD. As he served beyond 1920 they should have it. This 'sticky' explains.

Christina
    Hi Christina,
    I have just downloaded and completed the MOD form to request his service records.
    Thank you.

Dudley1

Thanks for looking.

Dudley1

Quote Originally Posted by pwholt View Post
    He doesn't appear in the Old Bailey online records, so I expect he was dealt with at a local level. You need to discover where he was living in London, to discover which court would deal with his "crime" - was it a magistrate's court or something else? Where was the family living in 1901, from the census? pwholt
    The Matthews family were living at No2 Addey ST in Depford London in 1901. Head was William James Matthews, but both he and wife Emma died in 1911 so I cannot find the Matthews family in 1911 census. And of course Grandad F H Matthews was in the army in 1910.
    I have no idea what court, if it was a court. But to be sent away from home, I would assume it would have been some sort of criminal court.
    Thanks Steve

Brick wall demolition expert!

It might be worth trying the London Metropolitan Archives to see if they can help:

https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/thing...s/default.aspx

Do you think he was probably sent to prison, and did hard labour in the coal mine? The Three Nuns colliery was near Hartshead/Mirfield. There's a prison in Wakefield and perhaps he was an inmate there. Wakefield Archives may have a record.

https://www.archives.wyjs.org.uk/

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Rifleman / Bugler Frank Harold MATTHEWS, discharge papers are on a family tree on ancestry owned by a StevefMatthews

Reg no 4016 enlisted 26 Oct 1910 service no 6905477?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast