rogier@cat3home

Question Beginning GSP Family Tree CRom...help!

Hi all
    Is there anywhere on the net that has a simplified 'how to' for this.? I'm a bear of little-brain and I don't find it easy.

Got as far as creating a gft file for the family tree, but I cannot see a tree taking place after 3 entries. Just a square with name and three boxes surrounding it.

Thanks in anticipation

Famous for offering help & advice

I haven't heard of any GSP software for several years, and I suspect that what you have is a rather old program. As such, even if it works on your present computer, you may have problems on your next one.

If you haven't gone very far yet with inputting data, I would strongly recommend you to consider changing to a program that is currently available, and therefore more future-proof. One that comes to mind is RootsMagic, which allows you to choose between the full paid-for version and Essentials, which can be downloaded for free but has some of the features disabled. Even so, I think you'd find it capable of far more than the GSP program. You can try the free version and pay later if you wish - this simply unlocks the extra features, so you don't need to start again at the beginning.

Another program with paid-for and free versions is Legacy. I used this some years back before switching to RootsMagic, and it's a good program. On balance, though, I think RootsMagic may be a bit more user-friendly and easier for those just starting out, while still having advanced features to satisfy the more experienced.

Others may disagree with me, or have other suggestions.

I know this isn't the answer you were hoping for, particularly if you've already put a lot into the GSP program. But even if you have done that, so long as the program can export its data as a GEDCOM file, that is something you can import into another FH program. In the long run, I don't think you'd regret it.

Arthur

rogier@cat3home

Thanks Arthur for explaining the current state of play, especially for those on a limited budget.

Oh I'm using version 3 from 2002.

You shouldn't have to re type if you do change software. Most programmes will export data to a gedcom file which can then be read by most modern versions.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by rogier@cat3home View Post
    Oh I'm using version 3 from 2002.
    In that case congratulations on your thrift! But it will make it increasingly hard to find anyone who knows much about the program. If you were to switch to a current program, you'd have access to free support mailing lists or forums; possibly also the program's own technical support team, though I'm not sure whether free versions always include this.

When looking around, I think you'll find that many programs have a free version for you to try, but do check the terms and conditions. I'm pretty sure that RootsMagic Essentials and Legacy's Standard (free) version can be used indefinitely with no limitations except the reduced feature set, but I think some other programs may limit you to a certain number of individuals, or only a couple of months' usage, before you have to pay for the full version.

Arthur