Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    watchaboaty

Thank you Pam - sorry I'm not being very specific. George Wilson Boatman and Ethel Payne were my grandparents. Their eldest son Leonard Wilson Boatman was my Dad. Thomas James did die in WW1 and is commemorated at the Tyne Cot memorial near Ypres. I visited the cemetery this summer. He would have been my Dad's half brother.
    I know nothing of George Wilson's first wife (Thomas's mother)
    William J Boatman was a submariner in WW1 (I have a photo of Able Seaman William Boatman with a note in my father's handwriting that he fought at Zeebrugge) I think that would have been on a C3 sub during the Zeebrugge Raid
    Thank you also for the census references - I'll check those out.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by watchaboaty View Post
    Thank you Pam - sorry I'm not being very specific. George Wilson Boatman and Ethel Payne were my grandparents. Their eldest son Leonard Wilson Boatman was my Dad. Thomas James did die in WW1 and is commemorated at the Tyne Cot memorial near Ypres. I visited the cemetery this summer. He would have been my Dad's half brother.
    It's surprising what a difference time-wise even that piece of information would have made to our searches.

I know nothing of George Wilson's first wife (Thomas's mother)
    You do now.
    George and Louisa's marriage is on Ancestry, and from that you'll get further details about Louisa which should enable you to trace her (and her parents) through the census.
    William J Boatman was a submariner in WW1 (I have a photo of Able Seaman William Boatman with a note in my father's handwriting that he fought at Zeebrugge) I think that would have been on a C3 sub during the Zeebrugge Raid
    Thank you also for the census references - I'll check those out.
    As per Peter's post #9, there's a record for William at The National Archives which can be downloaded for less than the price of the train fare to Kew.
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/D6929387

Your local library may have free access to Ancestry.

Once you've had time to sort out and absorb the information you already have, come back to this thread if you have further queries about this family.

Pam

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12