Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Bolton Artillery

I think my grandfather was a volunteer late on in 1st ww, unable to find any record of him George Gibbs, he was also a founder member of the British Legion in either Stockport or Bolton! He resided in Princess St Bolton.

There are 159 men called George Gibbs (with and without a middle name) on the medal card index.

Have you considered approaching the Legion in Stockport or Bolton to see whether they have any information about him? Ideally a service number, but confirmation of his regiment would help reduce the numbers.
    Note that over 60% of WW1 service records were burned in WW2.

Reputation beyond repute

George Gibbs
    That name is accurate is it? No middle name? I would have thought your problem is going to be identifying which one is your George Gibbs.

Have you followed the advice in the Research Guide?

For Territorials (which is what Bolton Artillery was), additional considerations apply. You may be able to find records in local archives (Bolton Archives? Lancashire Archives?)

I am led to believe his middle name was Joseph!!

Reputation beyond repute

Before attempting any serious searching you need to be sure what his name was! Place and date of birth would also help. Your father's birth certificate should at least show his father's full name.

While you're sorting that out, it would probably be worth doing what Lesley suggested and trying the local British Legion.

Thank you, will do

his full name was George Joseph Gibbs D of B 06/05/1905 inBelfast, Antrim, N Ireland, D of D 1925 Bolton Lancashire, Profession Brushmaker

Hi
    The George Gibbs who's death was registered in Bolton June 1/4 1925 was aged 49 so born c 1876.
    Also there is no middle initial J on this record on FreeBMD so this being your grandfather it looks as if we are still only looking for a George Gibbs. Where did you get the information his middle name was Joseph?

Ah 1905 was his marriage date in Bolton.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

The 1911 Ireland census has a George Gibbs, occupation brush maker, married 9 years with 3 children to the marriage. Born Scotland. Living Mountjoy Parade Dublin
    The name is correct, he is living in Ireland but the marriage date and place of birth do not match your information. And there is no wife or children living with this George.

Who did your George Gibbs marry in 1905, Edith or Sarah? The only one I can find in 1911 is married to Sarah for 6 years but born Durham with one child, Annie age 3, to the marriage living. They are at 5 Dickinson yard Westhoughton.
    This info and questions may seem irrelevant but I am trying to get a handle on your George Gibbs which MAY help sort him out from the crowd in WW1

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

sorry that was my mistake, his son my father was George Joseph!! My George Gibbs married Annie Morgan at St, Mirens RC Church, Paisley, Scotland in 1902.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast