HannahAndLesley

Default 42nd Regiment of Foot

Feeling slightly frustrated. I am trying to find a relative, my 5x Great Grandfather Robert Carey (Cairy/Carry) on Forces War Records. He was in the 42nd Regiment of Foot who later became part of the Black Watch. I've been on the National Archives and found his discharge from the army, but I can't find ANYTHING on Forces War Records. I have found he was in the First Battalion because he married my 5x Great Grandmother in Inveresk and I know the First Battalion stopped in Musselburgh. I know from the records of his marriage and the birth of his first son that he was serving in the 42nd Regiment of Foot and his son, my 4x Great Grandfather was born while travelling between England and the Peninsula. He seems to have been active in the army between 1805 -1817. Am I looking in the wrong place to find more information?

National Archives - https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ls/r/C10660355
    Stations and combats - https://www.napoleon-series.org/milit..._42ndFoot.html

Reputation beyond repute

Am I looking in the wrong place to find more information?
    You've looked in the National Archives which is a good start and found the catalogue entry but have you followed it through and obtained a copy of the record from Findmypast?

The "Find Guidance" button on the National Archives home page is particularly useful and would lead you to this Research Guide

HannahAndLesley

I haven't tried Findmypast. I subscribed to Forces War Records for this month to try to find out more information but couldn't find anything. I will try Findmypast when I have a little more spare cash

HannahAndLesley

Actually, I thought I'd splash the cash just to find the documents. I am over the moon! So excited. Thanks for your help!

Reputation beyond repute

Take a free trial.