Famous for offering help & advice

Default Reading part of military document

2/Siege Artillery Reserve Brigade. But what does it say after that abbreviation - is it R Ged? or something else.

Also he was transferred to Army reserve on the 8th Jan 1919 which is BEFORE the date of enlistment listed here. Am I right that the 19th May 1919 is his date of enlistment (should it perhaps read 1918?).

Thanks

Mitch

Allan F Sparrow

It may read R G A = Royal Garrison Artillery, I think. I seem to recal coming across that somewhere. Don't know about the dates, though.

I agree - RGA, Royal Garrison Artillery.

Re the date: they were often incorrect! Number dyslexia, putting today's date in the wrong place, confusion ... (I have every sympathy with this error - I've been looking at so many WW1 records lately that I dated a cheque 1914 last week! That's my excuse, anyway!)

Jane

Thanks to you both. Yes I had read it as three characters when it's actually two. And yes he was in the Royal Artillery Garrison. And no his service record didn't survive and he didn't get any medals . The 1 page discharge paper is all we have - have to be grateful for that!

Mitch