francebone

Default Thames Police Court Records. 1927

Does anyone know if records are available of proceeding in the Thames Police Court in May 1927.

I have a newspaper report (not identified) which says that my grandfather was accused of embezzlement of union funds. I can find nothing further.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Jeanb

Reputation beyond repute

I think the records would be at the London Metropolitan Archives files under PS/TH

https://search.lma.gov.uk/scripts/mwi...LMA_OPAC?LOGON

But embezzlement sounds a serious office to be dealt with at a police/magistrates court. I would have expected him simply to enter a plea and then be committed for trial at a higher court. What does the newspaper report say?

francebone

Default Thames Police Court 1927

Hallo Peter, and thanks for your quick reply.

I have two short paragraphs both from the Times, May 4th and May 19th 1927. The first reports that he was charged and remanded on bail. The second that he was committed for trial, but doesn`t say where or when. If you can make use of further details - names and places etc. just let me know. Apparently my grandfather went to Poplar Police Station and gave himself up.

Best wishes Jeanb

Reputation beyond repute

It's strange that you couldn't find a later mention of a trial.

Have a read of this research guide. There are links in it to other guides that might be relevant.

The Old Bailey site also has a page on 'other' records - https://crimeinthecommunity.wordpress...es-for-trials/

francebone

Default Thames Police Court 1927

Morning Peter, and thanks for your comments. I have been browsing this morning, and have come across some information on the courts in general. It seems that whereas embezzlement at one time was a capital offence (!) , during the later 1800`s onwards it was often treated as petty, or simple larceny, provided that there was no additional charge (violence etc.) and was dealt with in a magistrates court.

So I shall try along that line of enquiry. Perhaps I should go back to the Times archives, where the original Police Court appearance was reported.

Curiouser and curiouser..... Jeanb