Question Frederick Hill, 1906-1943, Royal Artillery

I have been looking into Frederick Hill, b. 1906 in Kent and died 5 Mar 1943 (taken POW and executed by the Japanese), and I would like to find some more information on him. I am struggling to find the name of his parents, his children, spouse etc, and all that stuff. I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could shed some light on him, because I'm not having any luck finding anything.

Thanks in advance.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Best place to start is his service records, they are not online. Read the sticky at the top of this section to find out how to apply.
    They should contain spouse and children's name. You may have to buy his birth certificate to get parent's names.
    regards

Robert

This is the man you are looking for?
    Serjeant
    Service number 1483245
    Died 5/03/1943 Age 37
    Regiment/Service -Royal Artillery 144 Bty 35 Lt. A.A. Regt.
    Panel Reference, Column 5,
    Memorial - Singapore Memorial

I note that his residence is given as Oxford at time of death on one online record

There is only this one birth showing on FreeBMD for a birth in Kent in 1906
    Births Jun 1906
    Frederick Cecil Hill
    registration district Elham vol 2a page 1151

Using the Tombstone calculator site his birth date would seem to be March 1906 which would fit with a registration in the June 1/4.
    However there are baptism and death records which match this birth reg.
    Frederick Cecil
    Born 27 February 1906
    Registered Dec 1/4 District bromley

Frederick cecil Hill
    Baptism 1 April 1906 at Folkestone, SS Mary & Eanswith
    Born 27 Feb 1906
    Parents Frederick William and Ruby Marion

this little bit of investigating by me shows how important it is to acquire back up documentation, in this case the service records. Unfortunately you are going to have quite a wait for them due to a heightened interest at this time in service records of our ancestors.
    This sticky gives the information and links you need

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Just to say, I have since resolved this. As it turns out the man I am looking for is not Frederick Cecil Hill. There was another Frederick Hill born in 1906 in Dover - Frederic Norman Hill. I'm guessing he did not show up in your searches due to the awkward spelling of his name. I know this is the same guy because Frederic Norman's parents were Frederick and Ethel, and so were Frederick Hill's according to his prisoner of war documents. I am currently of the belief that he dropped the 'Norman' in his name when he ran away from his family in the mid 1930s. He landed up in Oxford where he enlisted in the Royal Artillery.

Thanks for your input anyway, and apologies for the 22 month late response.