I'd like raise people's awareness of a MAPPING TOOL that's hosted by the Nottingham City Council and which is an excellent resource for genealogists and other historians of the area. Nottingham Insight Mapping (https://info.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/insightmapping/) is Nottingham City Council’s external GIS system. It’s built in-house, and runs on their own infrastructure.

It provides street-level mapping of Nottingham together with the options of overlaying aerial photographs and historical maps. I can't stress how great it is to be able to see where places were in terms of modern-day Nottingham.

Due to licensing restrictions on the underlying maps, they're forced to display an initial T&C dialog, but a simple click will close that. The toolbar at the top of the map has a field which says "Road Map" by default, but the drop-down includes an array of historical maps and photographs. The "Link to This" gives you a URL to share your view with someone else, or to embed in a document or Web page. At the moment, these URLs take you to the modern-day layer of your current view but they're looking at reproducing your exact view (layers, and all) with an enhanced URL. The Tools option on the left has many features that I haven't even explored yet, such as drawing and measuring.

Also, for reference, ‘Nottingham Insight’ is their Local Information System. It contains their document library, along with thematic and demographic information for Nottingham and Nottinghamshire. It is a partnership venture with certain districts.