Araminta

Default Address of a turnpike for 1841 census?

According to a parish register entry, it looks like ancestors lived and worked at a turnpike. I'd like to look up the turnpike in the 1841 census and see who was staying there. It's not coming up so far with the expected people's names.

There are documents which describe the modern location: "Returning to the village, the Capel Curig Turnpike Trust's tollhouse survives near the junction of the Llanberis and Nant Ffrancon Pass roads... By the hotels, descendants of Lord Penrhyn's original enterprise, may be seen the stables and a replica stagecoach,"
    https://www.jaggers-heritage.com/reso...ection%204.pdf

...How can these buildings be found in the census?

Reputation beyond repute

...How can these buildings be found in the census?
    Providing you know the County and Civil Parish, somewhere out in the sticks like that is easily browsable. It won't be like ploughing through an inner city area (although at least they're likely to be street indexed).

This is what we all had to do before the censuses were name indexed. You just look through the enumerator's book entry by entry. Your main problem is likely to be that the location information is pretty skimpy on the 1841 census.

If you're on Ancestry, go to the main 1841 Wales Census search page and use the Browse section on the right.

Araminta

Thanks. I avoid Ancestry unless it's really necessary - eg for parish records - as I don't like the results layout. But it looks like they may be better on this. Can't see a way to browse on FMP.

Araminta

Well, that was quite interesting, even if I don't think I found ancestors. Or even the turnpike buildings. (Although the old turnpike was mentioned in three enumeration district descriptions).
    The parish of Llandegai was heavily dominated by slate quarrying. Pages and pages of slate quarrymen, with perhaps one farmer and an ag lab to break up the monotony. Slate quarrymen aged 13, slate quarrymen aged 80. Carters and waggoners to transport the slate.
    Might have to look up a few Welsh words that might denote the turnpike and return to it.

Araminta

Spoke a bit too soon - Capel Curig was at the end of the final district. Still no definite ancestors, but there was an 80 year old man with the maiden surname of one of the ancestors I'm looking for, with the same occupation as her husband - and the only person in the parish with the job.

So that was quite worthwhile.

The North Wales Gazette, 22 Jun 1815, lists 4 gates on the Capel Curig turnpike road -
    Tyn y lon Gate, Dinas Gate, Hendreissa Gate, Bettws Gate
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Name well known on Brit-Gen

So true Peter, hours spent turning the 'pages' of the 1851 & 1881 census....a good wya to spend a Saturday in Central library a day off form looking after the babies!!!!

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Araminta View Post
    There are documents which describe the modern location: "Returning to the village, the Capel Curig Turnpike Trust's tollhouse survives near the junction of the Llanberis and Nant Ffrancon Pass roads... By the hotels, descendants of Lord Penrhyn's original enterprise, may be seen the stables and a replica stagecoach,"
    https://www.jaggers-heritage.com/reso...ection%204.pdf
    The description given by the web site is very broad, speaking as one who has travelled that road many times.

Nant Ffrancon is off the A5 (main road from Bangor to Shrewsbury), after the village of Bethesda but before you get to Llyn Ogwen.

I think that the junction they are referring to must between the A5 and the A4086 at Capel Curig, which is further on than Llyn Ogwen.

The replica stagecoach is not far from the junction of the 2 A roads going out of Wales.

The Web site also talks about the Ugly House, and that is also on the A5 before Betws y Coed, but some way from the junction. It is immediately before the A5 crosses the river.

Vision of Britain www.visionofbritain.org.uk

1. search key = capel curig 2. click on map as directed 3. select first map "1805 - 1859" 4. should return "Sheet 78 SE - Bangor (1840)"

Double click on Capel Curig to "zoom" (further "zooming" produces a poorer image)
    To the West of Capel Curig, near Garth, is a T.G - which I assume is TollGate?
    There is a tollgate/house in Capel Curig itself (not marked with a T.G) which is "Tyn y Lon (can be found on old maps - it is called Tollgate Cottage on a modern map - coordinates 272070 358136)
    Drag towards 'Betws y Coed" and there is another "T.G" immediately West of the town (The 'Betws Gate'?)
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Talking Location of the Capel Curig Tollhouse

Quote Originally Posted by Araminta View Post
    ...How can these buildings be found
    Not really what you're asking, but...

I was handed a postcard by my father-in-law (a collector) some years ago because he knew I grew up in S. Wales! After showing my mother the card she told me that the small cottage in the foreground was owned by her great uncle Samual Davies, (and his wife Ethel). She told me that the house was the tollhouse along the turnpike in Capel Curig. Sam and Ethel lived there for many years, and I believe Sam's mother did also.

Here is the postcard:

Here are two much more recent shots of the same property:

Here's the location on Google Maps:

Here's the url to find the location on Google Maps, should you want to look around:
    https://www.
    google.ca/maps/@53.1038118,-3.9114068,41m/data=!3m1!1e3

Hope this helps you. Probably not, but I found your thread interesting.

AndyD
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 15-11-2021 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Direct link to commercial site broken in accordance with our T&Cs.