Marchbank

Default William Rozzel(l)

Looking for any information about this man.
    I believe he was master of St Martins School, Leicester for many years around 1800s.

He possibly also wrote some tracts about English Grammer.

I typed William Rozzell St Martin's School Leicestershire into a search engine and one of the results was The Monthly Magazine Vol 36
    I am having trouble loading it but the short spiel says "Mr. Wm. Rozzel, upwards of twenty years master of St. Martin's school. an ... He was brother of Charles Rozzell, for many years celebrated as the Leicester Bard,"
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

janbooth

There is certainly an article in the Northampton Mercury dated 29 August 1795 which states that "A Poetical Introduction to English Grammar designed for the purpose of assisting the Memories of Youth" by William ROZZELL was published today.

Ancestry Select Deaths & Burials show the burial of a William ROZZELL at St Martin Leicester on 8 August 1813, aged 57, therefore born c1756. This burial record is confirmed by an entry on the Leicestershire FHS Burial Index. Is this likely to be your William? Another burial record at St Martin on 11 September 1811 of an Elizabeth ROZZELL. There is a record of a marriage at St Mary Leicester on 30 June 1776 for William ROZZEL & Elizabh BURTON, a subsequent one at St Mary Leicester on 29 October 1785 for William ROZZELL & Mary KNIGHT plus one at St Martin Leicester on 14 November 1808 of a William ROZZELL & an Elizabeth WALKER.

Ah, the first William ROZZELL & Elizabeth BURTON had a son William baptised on 20 December 1778 at St Martin Leicester, so this is likely to be the William who married in 1808. Quite a few ROZZELL records on Ancestry, but until we know which William is yours and what you already know about him, I won't post anything else.

Janet

thewideeyedowl

Hi and a very warm welcome to Brit Gen...

William Rozzell is mentioned three times in this tome: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=o...nglish&f=false.

That should take you to his name in the lists under Philology. Then if you check out the book itself (A Critical Dictionary of English Literature, and British and American.....) you will see that it is bySamuel Austin Allibone and John Foster Kirk, published in 1871. It is available as a free e-book from Google Books (only 814pp, and the full title is almost as long as the book..).

Owl

Marchbank

The small amount of info I have on William suggests he is the father of my Benjamin ROZZELL b c1796 in Leicester, died 1863 Leicester. There is a lot of articles in British newspapers(FMP). Charles ROZZELL 1754- 1792 is the brother of William and uncle to my Benjamin, again a lot of articles to be found about Charles.
    From what I have been able to glean from my couch it looks likely that William and Charles were born somewhere in Ireland, that possibly Mary KNIGHT is wife of William, and that Charles married Julian WASTALL(ancestry).

Does anyone know if there is a published history of St Martins School?

thewideeyedowl

Default St Martin's School, Friar Lane, Leicester

Hi again...

Have just had another rummage in Google Books and found this, which is available as a free e-book:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=5pk9AAAAcAAJ&pg=PA112&dq=(St+martin's+sch ool)+AND+(leicester)&hl=en&sa=X&ei=kDk8VJilOqGE7ga W_YHgCw&ved=0CCIQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=(St%20martin's %20school)%20AND%20(leicester)&f=false.

The book, A Topographical History of the County of Leicester, by the Rev John Curtis, was published in 1831, and tells us this about the school:
    St Martin's School. Situate in Friar Lane, was built in 1789, and is supported by voluntary contributions. One hundred and fifty boys and eighty-four girls are educated in it, and as many are clothed in blue as the funds will from time to time allow.

Interesting that it was co-educational and that, when money allowed, there was some sort of uniform for the pupils.

Owl

janbooth

Benjamin ROZZELL baptised 5 August 1794 at St Martin's Leicester, parents William & Mary. Siblings are:

5 June 1786 Elias Moor ROZZELL
    7 November 1791 Mary Moore ROZZELL
    12 March 1793 Charles ROZZELL
    18 April 1796 Anne ROZZELL
    27 November 1797 Sarah ROZZELL
    3 June 1800 Elias ROZZELL - born 27 December 1799
    8 June 1801 Peter ROZZELL

All baptised at St Martin. I wonder if the surname MOORE features in William's ancestry somewhere.

The Gentleman's Magazine Vol 72 (1792) gives an obituary for Charles - "25 July At Leicester in his 38th year Mr Charles ROZZELL, of whom an account shall be given in our next". The Victoria History of the County of Leicester, Vol 3, refers to Charles as "a gifted, genial but dissipated local poet"!

Now this may be interesting. Doing a Google search for Charles ROZZELL of Leicester brings up "Eighteenth Century Leicester" a Supplement to the Life and Times of Charles ROZZELL in which it states "September 21 1754 birth of Charles ROZZELL son of Judith ROZZELL & John ROZZELL, Framework Knitter, of the liberty of Newarke, near Leicester". The epitaph on his grave states that he was "an offspring of parents, both of the Irish nation", so it looks as though that is where the Irish ancestry comes from. Hopefully, this will give you a lead to the parents of your William and enable you to go back at least another generation.

Janet