Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marbles

Default Waterloo Medal Roll

Hi,

I believe my 3x great grandfather - James McStocker fought at Waterloo in the 52nd foot brigade. I think that his name has been mis spelt as McStoker on the medal roll. Does anyone know if it is possible to view a copy of the actual medal roll itself? His name has been wrongly transcribed from McStocker to Mcstoker for various other records and I am wondering if this is what has happened.

Thank you,
    Joanna.

thewideeyedowl

Default Royal Mint Museum

Hi Joanna and a very warm welcome to Brit Gen

A quick search suggests that you could try the Royal Mint Museum.

I do not know where you are based geographically, so this might not be an option. Possibly email them?

Owl

Marbles

Thank you I never would have thought to look there. I have contacted them already.

Joanna.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

The roll is on Ancestry too and yes mis-spellings were common then.

regards

Robert

thewideeyedowl

Default Correction to link

Hi - me again...

Only just come back to this and have noticed that the link pasted in was NOT the one that was intended. This has now happened several times and the fault seems to lie with my (old!) iPad2 - I copy a link from a webpage but the clipboard seems to be stuck on the old one to a RN Museum. Very sorry about this. I will ask the mods to remove that link.

This is what it should be: https://www.royalmintmuseum.org.uk/co...oll/index.html. I just hope it works this time!

Anyway, very glad you have already contacted the museum, and again many apologies for the confusion I might have caused.

Owl

thewideeyedowl

Default 52nd Regiment of Foot

Here is some background on the 52nd Regiment of Foot, from the Napoleon series website: https://www.napoleon-series.org/milit..._52ndFoot.html.

It gives confirmation that this regiment was at Waterloo, and there is an interesting bibliography at the foot of the page (though mainly for print books). You could also try Google Books and Open Library to look for 19th century texts relating to this regiment and to the famous battle - it can be surprising what turns up, e.g. you can sometimes find a memoir written by a participant.

Sorry I cannot help further with McStocker and the medal.

Owl

thewideeyedowl

Default 19th century history of the regiment

Ta..dah! Have just found this free e-book on Google Books: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=j...0foot)&f=false.

Might give you some idea of James McStocker's likely movements?

Owl

Reputation beyond repute

You need the National Archives series WO100. This has been computerised by Ancestry and is online as "UK, Military Campaign Medal and Award Rolls, 1793-1949"

There is also the Pensinsula medal Roll on FMP.

There is a James McStocker listed. What are your man's details? Rank? Regimental number? When and where was he born?

There is a service record for James McStocker of the 52nd Foot (series WO97) on Findmypast. This seems to relate to the man in the medal rolls. You need to look at this service record to decide whether it's your man.

The service record is more fundamental than medal rolls.

Marbles

Thanks, I've found his record on find my past but I can't work out what his regimental number is. He was born in 1791 in Belfast, he was 20 when he joined the 52nd foot brigade and fought in the Peninsular wars as well as Waterloo. Do you know how I can obtain his complete service record?

thewideeyedowl

Default Napoleonic wars research website

Hi again, Joanna...

Sorry - can't answer your question about his service record. But I suggest you take a look at the research into the Napoleonic wars - regiments and men - done by Barbara Chambers; she has published in different media, including CDs, and runs this excellent website: https://britisharmyresearchnapoleonicwars.co.uk.

I've found the site very useful, while researching a 3 x great-grandfather, born in 1791, and a soldier in the Peninsular War......... (Snap !)

Owl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast