June Harvey

Default Brighton rogue and vagabond sentenced

In an article from The Brighton Journal, 1854, a woman was convicted as a rogue and vagabond and sentenced to two months' imprisonment for child abandonment. She was delivered of a child at the Workhouse Infirmary on 7th August and the trial was reported in the newspaper on 15th August.

Have been searching the workhouse for records of admissions and births, to no avail. Also looking for Brighton gaol records and Lewes gaol records, which I cannot find.

Where will I find these records? How can I find out what happened to the child between the time of this incident and 1861 when he turns up on the census with his grandparents? What happened to the mother? She seems to have disappeared completely. Cannot find her under her maiden name in any censuses and cannot find a marriage for her.

The child is my great grandfather. I really need advice from some kind person.

June

Brick wall demolition expert!

Do you have your great grandfather’s birth certificate, and if so does that say that he was born in the Workhouse?

I would contact the local record office to see if they can advise you as to whether or not any of the records that you are looking for have survived.

https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/leisure...y_history.aspx

How about telling us their names and seeing if anyone here can find his mother?

thewideeyedowl

Default Brighton Workhouse Infirmary

Hi June

The records of the Brighton Workhouse Infirmary are kept by East Sussex Council, which runs a useful and searchable website: https://www.thekeep.info. On keying in the word 'Infirmary", I got lots of hits but couldn't take things further because I do not know the surname you are looking for. Anyway, have a go on that site and see what comes up.

Perhaps you could tell us exactly where you have searched, so we don't waste time covering the same ground. Also, please can you post the full name of your great-grandfather - for family history researches, a specific person is easier than a topic.

You have probably discovered the website on The Workhouse, researched and created by Peter Higginbotham. It is a mine of information and is bound to give you ideas for further research. Discovery, the online catalogue of The National Archives (TNA) now also returns results for many of the records held in county archives (which previously had to be found through Access to Archives - A2A). Key in the surname, area and dates as quite tight filters, and you might get some more leads.

Well, these are just pointers but if you can give a few more details I am sure that you will get some specific help.

Swooping off now.

Owl