Default Help Required Please

Hello,

I am trying to help a dear friend from Jamaica find her birth mother, sadly, we know very little. My friend was given away, and looked after by maybe a family relative, although even that info is unclear!

The only info we think we have at the moment is that the lady in question is called Carmen Esme Gentles (not sure if this is the correct spelling), she may have married a man called Muchette (surname only, and could be the wrong spelling!!) possibly in Jamaica, but there is a possibility, se may have moved to the USA, and could be deceased. There is apossibility, that Carmen and her husband did have children in Jamaica, but information is limited, SORRY

My friend was born in August 1958 in Jamaica, and came to England when young.

Sorry not to be able to give more details to work on, but if anyone can help, this research would be a huge challenge!!

Look forward to hearing from anyone who may be able to help.

Thanks,

Carol

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Not sure what sort of research you have done, however have you looked at the Jamaica page of the familysearch site?

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1538386

Presume you friend has a birth certifiacte that may assist you?

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    Not sure what sort of research you have done, however have you looked at the Jamaica page of the familysearch site?

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1538386

Presume you friend has a birth certifiacte that may assist you?
    I have asked her to look out her birth certificate, which she said she would do, just waiting for her to come back to me.

Thanks for your time, I will look at the family search site.

Carol

thewideeyedowl

Hi Carol and a very warm welcome to Brit Gen...

Well, we might be able to point you in the right directions for your search but please please be aware that it is a very strict forum rule that the name of a living person (or a potentially living person) must not be mentioned in the public posts. Check out the AUP on that (see bottom of page).

When trying to trace a family from the West Indies, the name to look out for is that of Guy Grannum - he has written extensively on the subject, e.g. Tracing Your Caribbean Ancestors, has a website and teaches courses (and is also at The National Archives). He knows his subject, so just get googling!

For background, there is this piece from BBC History: https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/familyh...ticle_01.shtml.

And as Genius has said, Family Search is always a good place to start, because it is free and worldwide.

Owl

PS Have just found www dot caribbeanroots dot com. It carries a bit of advertising so I will leave you to work out what the address is!
    Last edited by thewideeyedowl; 30-09-2014 at 8:40 PM. Reason: Add second web address